Collage Snowman Kindergarten Art Lesson

Kinders had a terrific time creating their collage snowman. It’s a very simple lesson to do with this age group. You’ll need two, 30-minute sessions.

Art Supplies:

Creating the background

Cut small pieces of tissue paper into small pieces (violet, blue, pink and any other cool colors) and arrange on trays. Set tray in the middle of table for each group of kids. Demonstrate how to apply tissue paper to 9 x 11 white or light blue paper using liquid starch and a small brush. Encourage the kids to add tissue paper even to the edges-they can be trimmed later.

Painting the snowman

Put out a few colors of tempera paint (white, light blue, red, orange, black) and demonstrate how the kids might paint a snowmen. They have their own ideas, so I usually don’t force them to stick with the three-circle theory! You may want to consider placing the white tempera paint in a separate container. The children will use this color first and then, after they are finished with it, you can remove it from the table. Another good tip is not to add any water to the white tempera paint. You want it to be thick enough to cover the tissue paper.

Final details

Place a small container of  snowflake-shaped sequins on each table. The children can use white school glue to add dots to their artwork and place sequin on white glue dot.

This post contains affiliate links.

1. Anonymous says:

I discovered your site this year, and love it. I’ve tried a few lessons with great success. I am wondering if you do any more winter lessons you could share. I’m tired of doing the same thing and would love some new, fresh ideas.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Carey

2. Patty P says:

Hi Carey,
    Thanks for visiting. You know, I did a “Snowy Day” project last year and it turned out very well. I’ll see about doing it again, and try to remember to photograph it.
    Also, check your school library for picture books about winter. That’s where I get many of my art ideas. There are really only a few techniques to teach kids, so it’s only the subject matter that requires creativity!
    Stay tuned…

3. Cathy says:

This art project was a HUGE hit with my kids and parents. It’s so lovely on the wall that we did it right before Christmas break and they are still up…coming down this first week of March though so new things can go up! Thanks for sharing your projects on this site and linking other great sites too!

4. Patty P says:

I’m so pleased! This was a fun lesson for my kids as well. Thanks for letting me know!

5. Lorraine says:

Hello,

I find the outcome quite beautiful and plan to make my kindergarten students do it.
    I live in montreal and cannot find liquid starch.
    What alternative product could I use?

6. mairead says:

Hi Patty,

I love your site. Have gotten so many amazing ideas! I’m just wondering is it ok to use white glue instead of liquid starch for this lesson?

Thank you!

Yes and I have before. Water down the glue a bit so the kids can brush it on easily. Here’s another reason to use glue: one year, I recycled some liquid starch from an old project and it went bad. When I poured it into containers for this project, the liquid starch smelled like vomit. The kinders were nearly sick themselves. To this day, I can’t look at this project without feeling queasy! Moral: Liquid starch goes bad. Have fun!

7. tess says:

I was wondering what the liquid starch did? Can the children just used watered down glue?

8. tess says:

p.s. I loved the craft!

9. gail says:

This is a wonderful looking project! I am always looking for ways to use tissue paper in my lessons because I inherited a lot of it when I took over the art position at my school. However all of mine seems to be “bleeding” tissue. Could you use that with this project? I’ve used it with the liquid starch in the past, but it definitely bleeds – especially the darker colors. Any thoughts?

Also, just a general thank you for posting so many of your beautiful projects. I have really enjoyed looking at your site this school year and have tried several projects with painted papers. They have been a hit from 1st through 5th!

You can buy non-bleeding tissue paper, but I always end up buying the bleeding kind. That’s what I used for this project and truthfully, when the colors bleed, I think it enhances the art. Be carefully of combining red and green or purple and yellow, etc. It’ll bleed muddy (as you know from the color wheel!).

10. My seven-year-old and four-year-old are making these for Christmas presents for their grandparents this year. I am planning to photograph their snowmen and have the images printed on mugs.

My kids just completed step 1. It was fun and funny to watch how differently they approached making their collages. My four-year-old was very precise and careful, while my seven-year-old slapped on a ton of modge podge, stuck on a bunch of tissue paper pieces, and completed his collage in about five minutes. I’m glad to have finally introduced them to tissue paper + modge podge. We will be doing more collages in the near future.

11. Laurel schurk says:

Waited glue works perfectly fine

12. […] learned a few tips from one of my other snowman projects, Tissue Paper Snowman. The layer of Mod-Podge (watered down slightly) prevents the tissue paper from bleeding through to […]