Elementary School Art Show

Tonight is the opening night of Mountain View’s Annual Spring Art Show. This is what the kids look forward to all year (well, at least as far as art class is concerned!). Each child has a piece selected for them (it’s a surprise until the art is mounted). PTA volunteers staple the art onto long sheets of paper and then the paper is stapled to the wall at one end. It isn’t the end of art class though. I still have six more weeks with my first through fifth grade students. Congratulations, kids. I love your art!

1. Melody says:

I like the idea of stapling the work to the long sheets of paper. It's an easy way to display and nothing will be falling off of walls.

2. Patty P says:

The interior walls of our MPR is mostly windows so the paper is really necessary. If you have interior hallways this method would still work well, given that you mount everything on the paper while the paper is on the floor and then you just hang on the wall.

3. 1 says:

Wow, amazing artwork! Your teaching has produced wonderful results.

4. Phyl says:

I'm assuming MPR is "multi-purpose room"? We don't have anything like that.
    Our hallway walls are cement block. It makes it near impossible to hang anything other than what is put on a bulletin board, so hanging an art show is nearly impossible, unless you want to tape everything to the wall and wait for it all to fall down. Anyone have a brilliant idea to help?

5. Patty Palmer says:

You're right Phyl. The MPR is our multi-purpose room which doubles as our cafeteria and gym when it rains. In Southern California we don't have interior hallways so in a way, you are lucky!
    If you have a gymnasium or cafeteria, perhaps you might hold an art show there. Or use the blue sticky stuff to hang the paper on the cinder block walls. You can reuse the sticky stuff. A bit time consuming, but it did the trick for me one year.

6. Becca :) says:

I have always used tape to hang work. But you have to use MASKING TAPE!! No clear tape! Masking tape works wonderfully. Two pieces in the corner or each work and it sticks for a long long time. I have had things taped on my walls in my room all year with masking tape. The only time it falters is when the temperature changes drastically, like when you have just turned your air on for the first time. And that is only because the posters want to roll. I think it all comes down to the type of paint on your walls.

Patty, I am hosting my first art show this Thursday and I was wondering if you put up any other decorations? Or have any thing else going on besides viewing art work?

Becca :)

• Ashley says:

oh yes! masking tape works even on our oddly plastic coated walls…. but make sure the walls are clean! My custodial staff wipes them down with some chemical that makes it impossible to stick to. I also got unlucky with a transformer going out and turning off the a/c all weekend in may….lovely to come to school monday morning to hundreds of pieces of artwork on the ground :) Such is the life of the art educator!

7. donna barton says:

I love your website!!! How do you staple the art to the paper? It seems like you would have to have a special technique to reach that far into the banner paper. Also, how are the butcher paper banners attached at the top? I teach elementary art and we also have cinder block walls and long hallways. I am anxious to find out a new way to display artwork. I shared your pink pig project with some 1st graders and it was a huge success! Thanks, Donna B.

8. Coopie says:

Putting the artwork on paper by stapling and then hanging on the wall does not work for me. The artwork is so heavy that the big paper falls down. How is the paper stuck to the wall. At our school, class room teachers use a glue gun and it works great. Artwork cannot be done like that because it will tear the artwork when you pull it off the wall.

9. [...] 2010 Mountain View School Art Show [...]

10. Kelly says:

Hey Phyl,
    My walls are cement block too. Masking tape is a waste of time! I keep rehanging! What I have done this year is hang string from our drop ceiling along the wall. You can then use clothespins to hang work from the string. Can you tell I was desperate!?!? haha I will definitely try Museum wax too!

Does anyone provide art activities during their art show? I’m looking for new ideas!
    Thanks!
    Kelly

11. Elizabeth says:

Yes, I would like to know how you staple too?

12. Elizabeth says:

I would like to know how you staple too?