Art Teacher Survey

A portrait of me drawn by one of my students. So cute!

I’ve been painting the downstairs of my house this past week and have had a lot of time to think. When I run out of steam (or my arm muscles give out) I check Deep Space Sparkle’s emails. I’ve received a few questions recently that left me thinking that many of you are seriously overworked!

My schedule is very light this year but for the last six years, I’ve worked a two schools. Two days per school with one day off was a pretty sweet deal. But last spring I gave one of them up so I could focus on my blog, my writing and most importantly, my 3 very busy kids. Now I teach 2 days a week and see between 9-10 classes. My contract is 30 weeks long, so each class sees me 15 times during the year. Short, huh? Although my school district is supportive of the arts now, they never use to be. Up until 3-4 years ago, art was always funded through the PTA. The PTA still funds a portion of my hours as our district only pays for approximately half the weeks. I’m not complaining. I have to admit that I love the scaled down hours as it gives me time to focus on other areas of my life, but if I were an art teacher trying to make a living, it’d be pretty tough.

Overworked! My ceramic mentor, Catherine Vallance.

So here’s my question (and it’s simply out of curiosity over how other states/Countries support art programs):

…and just one more…

1. Molly says:

Hi Patty!

I have been reading your blog for awhile now and appreciate the art projects and ideas. It is always nice to have another resource to pull from as an art educator. I teach art exclusively, I graduated with a BFA in printmaking and art education and am licensed to teach secondary education but have my elementary endorsement. I didn’t think I would be teaching Elementary art exclusively, but I landed this awesome job and couldn’t be happier.

I teach 6 45 minute classes per day at one school. It is a charter school and it is wonderful. I teach kindergarten through 6th grade. I teach full time on a teacher’s salary which is great.

One of the reasons why I wanted to post was to get the word out about the program that I am funded under. The state of Utah has an amazing program that funds visual art, dance, drama and music specialists in 52 schools. It was started by an amazing, visionary woman named Beverley Taylor Sorenson. She has lobbied the state legislature to set aside money for the arts in the schools and has built the program from scratch. We are now in our fourth year and are working towards a fifth (visit http://www.artworksforkids.org for more info) it is a fabulous program and has already proven to improve test scores and decrease behavior issues in the schools in which it is implemented. Hopefully we can expand to fund specialists in more schools which is the vision right now. The exciting part is that it is in the state of Utah, which is notorious for being one of the lowest-funded states as far as education goes.

I am so grateful to work under this program and feel passionate that the arts are the answer for kids. Thanks for your website! Its great to network with other educators!

Thank you for sharing this information. I’m getting the sense that art as just not as equitable in the school systems as it should be. I’ll check out the site you linked. Yay for Utah!

• Romy says:

1. Do you teach art exclusively? Are you credentialed?
        Yes, I teach art exclusively in Maine. I am a certified, K-12 art teacher. You need to be certified or working towards it in Maine for public schools. Most private schools also ask for certification.

2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day?
        I teach four days a week. 2.5 days at a private Catholic School, K-8 and at a public elementary school, 1.5 days a week. I have an average of 5, 45 minute classes a day, along with a recess and/or lunch duty. There are 208 students at the private school and 120 at the public elementary school.

Maine

I am under the contracted teachers’ contract, so I work the school year. Our year is 180 days. Since it is Maine, we usually have snow days off! We start either the last week in August or first week of September and finish, generally the second-third week of June. We have a holiday break at Christmas, a week off in February and a week off in April. It averages 36 weeks. If it is a testing week, I rearrange the classes to make sure the kids don’t miss art. They only have it once a week for 45 minutes.
        Our arts programs are funded by the school budget. The teaching positions have definately gotten smaller lately. We are asked to cram as many classes as possible into our day.

2. 1. Do you teach art exclusively? Are you credentialed?
    i only teach art, i love it! i have my LQ in visual arts in MI

2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day?
    this is the first year that i am at one school, the past years i have been at one school in the AM and then another in the PM. this year i am at one all day! i have 5 classes a day, K-5 and see 20 different classes a week but see some more then once a week.

3. Where do you live?
    i live in MI and teach in Detroit.

3. Joanna says:

1. Yes, I teach art exclusively. I have my NBCT in Early/Middle Childhood Art and am certified K-12 Art in Florida. I also have my Reading certification JUST IN CASE!

2. I have 6 classes a day that are 55 minutes long. I see each student once per week Kindergarten through fifth grade. I teach at only one school. From what I’ve seen, we are VERY lucky! I am in a very arts-oriented community and they would DIE if the arts were cut from the curriculum.

3. I live in Venice, Florida (Sarasota County) about an hour south of Tampa.

4. 1. Do you teach art exclusively? Are you credentialed?
    I only teach art (this year) I taught 2nd grade for 3 years and last year taught 2nd grade and art to the 4th and 5th graders. But after the Holiday break last year I was moved to just art. I am certified in elementary education and art. My education is just based in elementary ed. but I took art lessons as a child and just stuck with it.

2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day?
    I am only at one school (the teacher before me quit bc they wanted her at the middle, high and elementary school) and I teach Monday through Friday. I teach 5 classes a day except for Tuesday’s I teach 6 (ESE during my planning). If they ask me to teach other schools I would beg not to because I am a elementary teacher not a middle or high.

3. Where do you live?
    Central Florida, we are in Polk County but I am a Charter school. We are the school of the arts (visual/graphic/media arts, drums, guitar, choir, etc…) so we are lucky!

5. Megan says:

1. Yes I teach art exclusively and have both of my degrees in art ed.
    2.I teach 5 days a week at one school. In the course of a day I have each grade level (k-5) one time, so six classes a day. My classes are 55 minutes long.
    3. I live in Temperance, Michigan near the Ohio/Michigan border!

6. Andy says:

1. I only teach art and have my visiual art certification from the state of Ohio for k – 12

2. I teach at two schools, 2 1/2 days at each. I have 4 classes a day with the exception of one day when I teach 6 classes. Each class is 1 hour long except for kindergarten which is 30 min.

3. I live in Mount Vernon, Ohio about an hour northeast of Columbus

7. Brittany Moore says:

1. I only teach art and am certified K-12 South Carolina.
    2. I teach at one school- ON A CART :( 6 classes a day, 5 days a week!
    3. South Carolina
    4. I teach every week, unless they FORGET to tell me that we are testing or something. And they never remember to tell me. ugh

• Aloha Buffington says:

I feel your pain. I’m at three schools,; two on a cart with schedules like yours. The third, and largest (600) has a wonderful art room (today) but a killer schedule w/o bathroom break time, and twenty minutes for lunch (30 on paper) There is one hour of planning on Mondays, and 30 minutes before classes Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri. I see K, 1st, 2nd AGAIN on Friday, and classes are “combined” so there are 30 five year olds in 30-minute classes after lunch, gym. I babysit in the afternoons (11:15 – 3:15 six 30-minute classes, one 60 minute class (combined) The mornings I teach art (two classes, 4th and 5th) but the same thing happens to me about field trips and activities.
      Our system used to value fine art. In 1995, when I started, every teacher and principal in the system attended SEIVA during the summer to learn about art, and the classroom teachers would introduce the history and artist before I came. The children actually had art every week. The classroom teachers remained with the students to assist during the production part of the lesson. That was then Our “scores” were the highest in the state.
      New people, another universe.
      Today I have about 1,300 students. I have seventy classes in a two-week rotation as opposed to 42 in 1999. TCAP testing is the holy grail (SP?) in my system, and the tests are administered to K, 1st and 2nd grades now. Two five-year-olds puked last year because of their fear of the TEST.
      I love my kids and I love teaching art. I wouldn’t care which school or students were assigned to me, because they all have positive qualities, and they all love art. I don’t feel like I’m benefiting these children with my current schedule, and I wonder if this is where art education is headed today. Looking for a solution. BTW, I’m pretty sure our “SCORES” don’t come close to top in the state (Tennessee) today.

8. Cindy says:

1. yes and yes. I am certified EC-12 art and teach K-5.

2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day? 5 days per week, 6 classes per day 3 of the days, and 7 classes per day on 2 of the days (2 special ed. classes), (plus 30m-1 hour of lunch duty per day!!! ugh!). Each class is 50mins.

3. Dallas

4. I teach the whole year, but during TAKS test and ITBS, I am a hall monitor or I administer a test.

9. 1. Do you teach art exclusively? Are you credentialed?
    I teach K-5 art full time. Elementary Art K-12 Degree & a Master’s in Classroom teaching

2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day?
    I teach 20 classes per week , one hour each. 4-5 classes a day ranging from K-5th grade.

3. Where do you live?
    St. Louis area suburbs, fastest growing school districts in the state of Missouri

I teach 32 weeks per year, so I see the students around 30 times…give or take for vacations, 1/2 days and Professional Development days

• Charlene says:

I had to leave St. Louis area 7 years ago due to lack of art teaching jobs. Can you tell me if more opportunities have opened up? Someday, I would like to move back and I’m worried there will be no jobs.

10. Holly says:

1. I teach art in Maryland, and I am certified.

2. I am the only art teacher at 3 schools. (65 different classes and almost 2,000 students total!) . I spend several weeks at one school, and then I rotate to the next school for a few weeks. Each class only sees me 4 times a year! Each lesson is about 75 minutes. I usually teach 3-4 classes a day.

3. Bowie, Maryland

4. I teach every week, even during testing. During testing I do have to modify my schedule a little, but I still teach.

11. Charlene says:

1. Do you teach art exclusively? Are you credentialed? Yes, I teach only Art and have no desire to teach any other subject. In our district, we must be highly qualified to teach in our subject area. I have a BS in Art Education. I am qualified to teach K-12 Art, but my school is K-5 school.

2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day? I teach 5 days a week and have 6 classes every day except Thursday I have five. Thursdays are short days in our district and in the afternoon, the staff attend meetings and classes. This year since our numbers are low, I am assisting the librarian twice a week and reading with two groups of 2nd graders and 4th graders. Each class comes to Art once a week for 45 minutes. This is a dream compared to my first year in the district when I traveled between SIX different schools!!!!

3. Where do you live? I live in the west valley of Phoenix, Arizona, but teach in the inner city area of Phoenix known as Maryvale.

Weigh in if you care to….don’t you think it’d be interesting to see how school districts fund art? We are very lucky our arts program has never been on the chopping block. Poor band and PE however keep coming up lately, but have survived so far!

12. 1. Do you teach art exclusively? Are you credentialed? I have a BFA in Art Ed K-12. I teach art exclusively except for a small reading group I tutor in the mornings.

2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day? I teach full time, 5 days a week. I have 6 art classes each day plus a small reading group. The classes are 45 minutes with 5 minutes in between (my only planning time). I have about 700 students divided into 36 classes. It is a lot to keep organized! I see the kids once every 6 days of school. They also have computers, music and 3 days of P.E.

3. Where do you live? Greater Atlanta Area.

Luckily our system hasn’t cut the arts, although a lot of other counties have. There was no money for supplies at all, so I depend on fundraisers and grants for our supplies.

I enjoy your site tremendously and use some of your lessons. Thank you for sharing!

13. katie k says:

Hi i really love your blog and find it has been so helpful to me.

1. Do you teach art exclusively? Are you credentialed?
    I became a primary ( elemetery i think) teacher two years ago but oculd not get a job.

Then a maternity teaching art came up. I am not qualifed in art but i love it so i applied and got it. In the end a another teacher moved away so they gave me a temp job and i really like it but have had to teach myself from the internet (thankyou) and books

2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day?

This year i teach art two days a week 3 classes in three different schools on a monday and four classes in three different schools on a tuesday. Then i teach PE and health in one school for the other three days.

Scotland

I teach for the whole school year which is about 38 weeks (i think )

I found getting to grips with teaching art hard to beign with and felt i could not do it full time. The planning was hard i do not know if oyu work the same way but i have to do art that is linked to the classes topic so at the moment i am planning for 14 topics and they never seem todo the same ones!

14. Tana says:

1. I teach art exclusively, kindergarten through fifth grade, although I am licensed to teach kindergarten through twelfth grade. My degree is Art Education K-12 and I have my masters in Teaching and Learning.

2. I teach five days a week, 5 classes a day, each class is 60 minutes.

3. I live in Monticello, Minnesota, but teach in Elk River, Minnesota which is about 15 minutes from my home.

4. I have the same days off for staff development or district workshop days as the general classroom teachers do. I have to grade each project for each child as well as a separate grade for their effort, each quarter. So I will basically see each class about 6 or 7 times in each quarter which roughly gives me time to teach one, two or three quality art lessons. Obviously, the older children will have completed just one or two projects, whereas the younger may have three or four projects. This also depends on if a class has missed an art day because of a field trip or special event or snow day, or missed out on that hour because of fire drills or lock down drills. I am at school during conference times just in case a question may arise about a grade a student had received. Our district is in school about 38 weeks or so.

15. Kaye says:

1. I am a classroom teacher, so I teach everything. I did Art as my minor at Uni, but wouldn’t say I’m super qualified.

2. I teach Art to my class for an hour and a bit (depending on what we’re doing and how much the kids are into it) each Thursday.

3. I live in NSW, Australia.

4. I teach Art 38 weeks of the year – from day 1 till the last day of the year (and more than once a week when it gets closer to Christmas). It’s my class’ favourite subject, so last week when we had to perform at a concert in the local town square during Art time I did not hear the end of it! Some refused to go to lunch because “WE HAVEN’T DONE ART YET!”

16. Dale says:

Yes I am a certified art teacher. I have a BA in art and an M.A.Ed in art education. I am licensed to teach K-12 and I have taught at all those levels but right now teach at a K-5 public school. I teach 5 days a week and have between 5 and 6 classes per day for 40 mins. each. They see me each week for roughly 36 times per year. I do have a room which is a luxury still in our district. I live in North Carolina and have taught for 33 years. I really look forward to reading your blog and I have gotton so many great ideas from you. Thank you for sharing.

17. Lucy says:

I have an art credential and teach art to K-5 kids in Berkeley, CA. Not all of the elementary schools here have art. At one school, the PTA and local bond measures pay my salary and I see all 300 plus kids at the school. At another school, the district pays as I am a release time teacher for the 1st and 2nd grade classes there. Each elementary has some choice about how they fill the release time classes and how they use their tax-generated funds. The school community has to make the arts a priority to make it happen.

I teach 5 45 minute classes a day, 4 days a week. (And run a small summer art camp out of my home studio).

I teach all year long.

In one school I have a room I share with the science teacher who is there on alternate days. At the other school I am on a cart.

I love my job!

18. Kathy says:

1. Do you teach art exclusively? Are you credentialed?

I have been a full time art teacher at the same school for 21 years. I have had different teaching assignments in art for grades PreK-8 and I was only asked to travel one year. I have also taught reading, and language arts in grades 2- 6. My certifications are Elem.Ed 1-8 and Art K- 9. For the last 6 years or so I have been doing special education reading and language arts for individual students in the morning and my art classes for grades 3 – 6 are held in the afternoon.

2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day?

I am at one school full time and I teach between 5 and 6 classes each day.

3. Where do you live? I live in Wisconsin.

I guess we have about 37 weeks of school. I teach every day that school is in session. The students do take achievement testing, but the homeroom teachers schedule it around the art, music, and PE classes. They do not want to miss these classes, because it is their prep time! If a special assembly happens during art class that is the only reason that art would be missed.

19. Jodi says:

1. Do you teach art exclusively? Are you credentialed?
    I am a full time art teacher at an elementary school. I’ve my BA in Fine Arts with art educator certification at all grade levels.

2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day? I teach 5 days a week, 7- 45 minute classes. K-5th.

3. Where do you live? Fort Worth, TX. We have a very supportive Art Department that fights for us.

4. How many weeks a year do you teach? I think we have 37 or 38 weeks of school so I’m teaching the whole time. When testing weeks come up what usually happens is specials are canceled and we are to test students who have learning disabilities, usually 7 – 14 students. Photo day, and special event days usually happen during specials classes.

20. Lisa Duffy says:

I am a certified art teacher BS Eduation with a Fine arts: Printmaking as well.
    I curretly teach one day a week in a Cathoilic Parish Grade School (K-8) in Chester county PA.. The student s see me bi-weekly,with music on the alternate days.
    Our arts program was recently cut in half so we hoping after a better finacial year we will be back to art every week.
    I teach every week and even reschedule when my children are sick1
    I am lucky to do what I love in a supportive school!

21. Tobie says:

Hi Patty , no I am not certified to teach art I do have an art degree from the art institute. I work at a private school and its sister school. My son was going to this school and never did much in art. Lucky for me I asked to be the art teacher and since it is a private institute I did not need an education degree. I am in my 2nd year. I teach 30 45minute classes a week.. My students are ages 3 to 13 years old. I do everything from the bulletin boards to the big holiday shows! Needless to say I am obsessed with art and loving this awesome opportunity I feel blessed to have. Since it is a private school the money is lower and I do not have benefits, but I have so much creative freedom and I love my kids and the people I work with. I live in Pembroke Pines, Fl

22. Tammy says:

1. Do you teach art exclusively? Are you credentialed?
    *I teach elementary art exclusively, grades 1-6, I’m licensed to teach art k-12 and have a Masters in Educational Technology

2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day?
    *This year is unusual in that I only teach at one building, most years I’m at two buildings. I teach 500 kids per week on average. Students come to art for one 55 minute period every week. In a typical year, I teach 5 classes per day most days.

*I teach in Toledo, Ohio

*I teach every week (40 weeks), during testing classes get re-arranged but my day is basically the same

*Though our department is smaller than it was several years ago (most cuts have come at the high school where enrollment in electives is down due to students having to take remedial courses to help them pass state testing…) Our district is in better shape financially than many others in our state and even a few in our area, at this point they are committed to the arts. We all keep our fingers crossed though! (Also our state requires art teachers to be highly qualified and we are required to teach State Standards – it makes me feel a tiny bit better that at least for now, art must be taught by art teachers, I’m hoping that translates to a little job security).

Thank you for your site Patty, it has totally put the excitement back into teaching for me!! You’re awesome!!

23. Mary Ellen` says:

1. I teach art exclusively. I am a certified art teacher.
    2. I teach 5 days a week at 1 school, 4-5 classes per day. Students have 56 minute art classes for 2 consecutive school days, then go to music/PE for the next 4 consecutive school days. I teach 4 or 5 grade levels per day in an art room. I spend 50-60 hours per week in school setting up and cleaning up.
    3. I live in a suburb of Chicago, IL.
    4. I teach every week of the school year. Testing is scheduled so students do not miss art. The only days I do not teach are the days of our school concert and kindergarten graduation. We rehearse in the morning and have programs in the afternoon.

24. K.D. says:

Yes, I only teach art.

No- our county does not pay for certified Elementary Art Teachers. (County supports 15 hours per week, per elem. school- school has to fund any remaining hours desired- and some in our county choose not to based on available funds) On paper, I am just above a parapro/teacher’s assistant, but am responsible for almost all of the same functions as certified “specials” teachers- music, PE, etc.

Like another “post-er”, I have relied heavily on instructional books, the internet (HUGE THANK YOU, PATTY!!), and two mentors w/in our county (certified Middle & High School art teachers). It has been a whirlwind at times, but I love the kids and I love what I do. I have learned SO MUCH in 3 years.

2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day?
    5 days/week- 7 classes per day, K-5, 35-45 mins per week each, depending on grade level

I teach in Newnan, GA

All 180 student days of school, but not paid for any time that students are not in school (except 30 mins planning/day & lunch- which I am grateful for! Some Elem. Art Teachers in our county don’t get that much time)

25. Lori says:

Hello
    Lori @ funart4kids says:
    I am Art Ed. certified K-12 in Pennsylvania from Penn State University. Masters in Technology in the Classroom.

In NE Pennsylvania, I teach art 180 days…at one school K-6…7 classes a day. Each is 40 minutes with no break between. I call it the factory. Believe me no teacher would miss their prep (their special period) to cancel out on me…that is good. They plan testing around us, usually…because of the above, prep time, which is guaranteed by contract.

When I came here, I was at 2 schools, traveling, and used shared rooms with a budget of $2,000. We fought for a better system and did well. I am now in one school, have acquired a kiln, room remodel and budget of $4,000. We are in a low income area so this is a good situation, considering. Our salary ranges here are $36,000 to $69,000. You must be certified.

Interesting to hear from everyone!

26. Melissa says:

1. Do you teach art exclusively? Are you credentialed?
    YES! I teach k-8 full time at one school. I have a teaching certificate and a masters.

2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day?
    I teach between 2-6 (1 hour) classes per day. I see each class once a week.

Seattle, WA

…and just one more…

September-June, we still have classes during testing. I participate in middle school conferences and meet with all my middle school parents and students.

27. Laura Petrovich-Cheney says:

1. Do you teach art exclusively? Are you credentialed?
    Yes, I teach art exclusively; although I have had other assignments, like bus duty, lunch duty, or breakfast duty. Those responsibilities change year to year. I am a certified art teacher and I have my National Board Certification in Early & Middle Childhood Art.
    2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day?
    I teach 31 classes a week, every day I have a prep and lunch. For two days, I teach the maximum amount of classes in a day – 7 classes; three days, I have 6 classes and one day I have 5 classes. They other classes are extra preps. THis is the first time in 6 years that I have had an extra planning period; usually I had to cover lunch duty. I have breakfast duty this year; so I come in early. One year, I taught 35 classes a week! I teach K-6, including self contained special education. On a cart. Classes are 40 minutes each. Average class is 24 students. I teach in an urban district with 85% on free or reduced lunch and 46% are ESL students.
    …and just one more…
    Central New Jersey .. near the beach.
    I think it is 40 weeks. I teach Sept – June (180 days) expect for testing week. Then I am a hall monitor.
    Each year, my budget has been cut by at least 5%; and sadly the cost of supplies keep increasing. I teach on a cart and many rooms in our 100+ year old school building do not have sinks. Painting is a real luxury for me and the kids because of the planning involved.
    I can’t tell you how much I depend on your website for you ideas. I have built whole units on your lessons. With nearly 600 students to teach, with so little planning time, your website, Patty, keeps my lesson fun and fresh! I wish I had more time to be creative with new lesson ideas, but there just isn’t that kind of time. Please keep posting stuff .. you’re keeping many of us alive out here in the urban trenches of cut budgets and increased populations!

Thanks Laura! Most of you have very busy days with little time to prep or to think really. To bounce between grade levels so many times per day is a herculean effort. I admire you guys. At the very least, this information is inspiring some new ideas for art lesson plans.

28. artprojectgirl says:

You are from California right? I am SO surprised that arts are not funded through the district! California seems like such an art oriented place. Do a lot of the art people send their kids to private schools and don’t advocate? I wonder what is going on?

1. Do you teach art exclusively? Are you credentialed?
    YES AND YES. BFA and I went to ARC (accelerated route to certification) to get my certification for K-12 art. I taught at my own children’s art studio before I got certified (during after school hours) and at a Montessori School as an art specialist during the school day.

2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day?
    I teach in one school. 5-6 One Hour Classes and 2-3 Half Hour Classes. I see all classes for an Hour a week and some for an Hour and a Half. All specials teachers take classes for an extra half hour so that classroom teachers can have an extra plan period to input data for district initiatives.

Connecticut
    …and just one more…

I teach every week of the year mid Aug-June. Participate in conferences.

Through the district. We have a kiln and always enough supplies. I teach about 580 kids on a budget of 3-5,000 depending on the year and principal. The only thing we lack budget for is teachers (we had 6 art teachers retire or quit in the past 3 years and the positions never fill.) So though we have more than enough for supplies, materials, new management and outside contractors (advertising agencies for our school etc.) we never have enough for teachers. Teachers are laid off in the summer and usually rehired with state aid.

29. Julie Kohl says:

1. Do you teach art exclusively? Are you credentialed?
    I am certified k-12 ART, k-12 Gifted and Talented and K-4 Regular Ed. I teach k-12 art exclusivley but do teach a gifted art class to 5th and 6th graders.

2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day?

5 days a week with 7 classes a day at one school but I teach kindergarten through 12th grade.
    Here is my daily schedule
    7:50-8:40 – Art 2 (high school) Daily
    8:45 – 9:28 – Art 1 (high school) Daily
    10:40 – 11:25 2D/3D (high school) Daily
    12:05 – 12:45 M-4th T-4th W-3rd T-3rd F-Kindergarten
    12:55 – 1:40 M-5/6 GT, T-6th, W-5th, T-5th, F- 6th
    1:45 – 2:25 M- 2nd, T- 2nd, W-1st, T – 1st, F – Kindergarten
    2:30 – 3:15 7th/7th/8th/8th Daily on a 9 week rotation

Total students – 550

Arkansas

If we have school I teach even if it is testing week or whatever. We have a 36 week school year.

I get $1000 TOTAL to buy supplies for ALL of my classes.

• Charlene says:

Wow! That’s all I can say.

• Jen Cooper says:

That’s my budget too. $1000 for 225 kids that I see twice a week so it’s really like seeing 450 kids a week. If I don’t spend my own money to buy supplies I run out of everything before the end of the year.

You should check out Phyl’s blog There’s a Dragon in the Artroom. She has a really small budget but makes beautiful things. Also, see about raising funds via Artsonia, etc. Every little bit helps! Good luck next year and thanks for sharing.

30. Lisa says:

1. Do you teach art exclusively? Are you credentialed?

I am a certified art teacher from PreK-12.. I teach exclusively at two intermediate elementary schools (grades 4-6) and I have about 600 kids between the two schools.

2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day?

I spend 2 days at one school and 3 days at the other. I teach between 5-6 classes a day, and also have enrichment periods with my students doing school-wide drama performances and other interdisciplinary enrichment.

3. Where do you live?

I live and teach in Rhode Island.

I teach every day school is in session… all 183 days. I am available for any parent during parent-teacher conference days and attend all professional development.

P.S. I love your blog — I’m a huge fan and have been for a while now! :)

31. Hi I teach In Perth Western Australia. I am a qualified art teacher or Specialist Art Teacher – It means I teach primary ( elementary aged students. I am qualified to teach high school as well. I have also spent some time developing curriculum materials for distance education student. The state provides each classroom teacher with 4 hrs of DOTT time ie time out of the class per week for Duties other than teaching. That is where a school then decides how to staff that. ie art , music, drama , phys ed or languages.
    I work 4 days per week with 4 x I hour lessons at the one school which is a government school. Ie 16 classes. Which is approx 400 plus students. The ages range from Pre primary age 5 to year 7s age 13 . All of my classes except for 3 classes are mixed grades which can be difficult to manage. It just depends on the number of students in any year cohort. We have less stI am very happy with my timetable as it gives me 1 hr per day for prep etc. I have been teaching art 21 years I attend most PD but have to only meet 80% of PD commitments and need to be available for parent teacher interviews.

32. 1. Do you teach art exclusively? Are you credentialed?
    I teach K-5 Art and have a Degree in Art and a Minor in K-12 Art Education. I have my Master’s in Education.
    2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day?
    I have two schools. I teach 6 classes per day. Each class is 45 minutes long and are back to back. This is over 500 students.
    I only teach 4 days a week. On the 5th day I work at the curriculum office and coordinate professional development for the art teachers in our district.
    Ankeny, IA, a suburb of Des Moines, IA
    I teach every week of the school year.

33. Dorothy says:

I teach art to grades K-8(Catholic school)and I am certified Advanced Professional;BFA& Masters Equivalency. I teach 5 days a wk in a school of 760 students(yikes!). I teach 6-7 classes a day but have ample breaks.(My principal is very supportive of the arts)except for Fridays which are back to back of middle schoolers(great fun).This is my 30th yr of teaching art(not at the same school).
    I live in the Annapolis MD area and teach in Glen Burnie(suburb of Baltimore).
    I teach every day of the school yr except during a few testing periods. I am present for teacher conferences but only for specific ones. Otherwise it is a work in classroom. I also have an after school art club for middle school(small group)once a wk during part of school yr.
    I really enjoy your blog and love your projects.Thank you!

34. Rachel says:

I am an art certified teacher in Richmond, VA.

I travel to 4 elementary schools. Each of the schools has a 5 day a week teacher, but since we are so overcrowded, I come once or twice a week to teach the extra sections.

Most days I have 6 classes, except for a lighter day on Friday. I teach every day of the school year.

Budget wise, we got less for supplies, but we didn’t lose any art teachers.

35. Demi Hauseman says:

I teach in the state of Pennsylvania. Our state requires in public schools, art be taught by teachers certified to teach art. I have an undergraduate degree in art education and a masters degree in art education. I teach elementary art to students kindergarten to grade 5. I see all my students on a rotation of once every six day cycle and have 45 minute art classes. I see students 30 times a year. I teach in three different schools and travel every day between two different schools. I have 700 students.I do teach full time. I love my job. As I age I’m a little more confused by the cycle day and which school I’m supposed to be in. The students I teach make my job highly satisfying. I teach in the Carlisle Area School District and this year my schools are Mooreland Elementary, Letort Elementary, and Hamilton Elementary.

36. Cherri says:

Thanks so much for sharing your art experience and lessons with us.

1. Do you teach art exclusively? Are you credentialed?
    I teach art exclusively. I have an elementary education master’s degree with an art endorsement (minor on my BS).

2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day?
    I teach one week at one elementary and then switch with the P.E. teacher. (Our music and library teachers switch every other day.) My schedule consist of seven classes a day. Classes are 40 min. each with five min. in between. At one school I also have lunch duty two to three times a week.

Indiana

I teach everyday including during testing, conferences. school assemblies are planned around the special schedule as are parties and field trips. Our students rarely miss specials. Students have art five times a month.

How school districts fund art?
    I have a full paid teaching position with full benefits. Our students pay an art fee. This pays for supplies, but varies greatly between schools. I have between 250 to 300 students at each school. I get over $1200 at one school and around $800-$900 at the other.

I am interested in what others are doing about grading students in art in the elementary schools. I am required to grade third – six graders. We have four nine weeks with a progress report in the middle of each nine weeks. This means giving a report card grade after five 40 min sessions. I want to change from letter grades to hands, head and heart or outstanding, satisfactory and needs improvement. They want me to get the music and P.E. teacher to do the same thing. After much discussion with the other teachers, I can tell that we are not going to come to an agreement.

37. Caroline says:

Hi Patty! First of all . . . I LOVE YOU!!!! You make my life much easier! Thanks for all you do!

1. My undergrad degree is studio art. Then I did a fifth year masters in Art Ed. I am certified to teach art preschool-12.

2. I teach in a public school. My school has around 900 kids 1st-5th. I teach on a 6 day rotation. I teach approximately 7 classes a day, 5 days a week. One of my days I only have 2 classes, but the remainder of the day I am used as a “baby sitter” to sit with other classes as the teacher goes to meetings, etc. Also every morning I am paired with a classroom teacher to help with tier 2 instruction either reading or math.

3. I teach in a suburb of Birmingham, Alabama. My school district is huge and has art teachers in almost every school. (we are very proud of that fact!) :)

4. I am a full time employee, like any other teacher. If the school is open, I am teaching. (except for the first two or three days of school, then I am helping kids register, opening kindergartners’ milks, etc. And during standardized testing I serve as a proctor, but the rest of the day I am teaching art.)

38. Pam says:

1. Do you teach art exclusively? Are you credentialed?

I teach art exclusively and I am certified to teach k-12. Right now, I am teaching k-3.

2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day?

I teach Monday-Friday. I see 8 class periods per day (2 of those classes have about 45 students in them because an extra grade was added to our school this year). I see a little over 600 students per week.

3. Where do you live?

I live in Kankakee, IL, but make a 45 minute commute to school every day in Country Club Hills, IL.

…and just one more…

I haven’t quite figured out how many weeks a year I teach. I was hired on a grant for the 2009-10 school year, got pink slipped (state of IL is broke), and just got hired back in October (long after the school year had started). I would sit down and figure it out, but, as you can tell, I don’t have a lot of spare time:) I can tell you that I will be teaching every week for the rest of the school year. We do have art/music/gym during testing so the classroom teachers can have their plan (partial) time.

• Charlene says:

This is why I left Illinois. I love my home state, but the funding issues and lack of support of the arts was very dissapointing. Good luck!

39. Jenny Traviss says:

Hi Patti. It would be a pleasure to answer your questions. I teach at a private school in Cape Town, South Africa. (K-Gr 7) I teach the Grade 1 – 7′s and in 2012 will be teaching K. We have only one class per grade with a maximum of 16 kids per class. In 2012 we will start double streaming so there will be 2 of each grade. I get an art budget of R14 000.00 per year which is equivalent to $2000.00. The pupils also provide their own stationery, pastels and watercolours per year.

1. Do you teach art exclusively? Are you credentialed?

I teach art and technology. The technology incorporates more of the 3D building side. I am not credentialed. I was teaching Art Club privately at the school when they were looking for a new full-time art teacher and the principal was so impressed with my work that she offered me the job. She praises me daily and I am now going into my 3rd year. I absolutely love it.

2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day?

I teach 3 x 60min classes per day Tuesday to Thursday and 4 x 60min classes on a Friday. I am only at this one school. I also teach Art Club (which is private) at this school on a Wednesday afternoon for 2 hours.

3. Where do you live?

In Cape Town, South Africa. (and its not half as bad as what one sees on international TV. Its a beautiful, beautiful country.)

I teach about 38 weeks a year. I dont teach the Grade 4-7′s during exams which is one and a half weeks twice a year. Otherwise every week.

Art is also given at all our government schools, but I am not sure what their budgets are. I just know art is VERY important at our school and the kids all looooove it. A little toooo much I think ;)

Hope this was a helpful insight. Thanks again for so much amazing inspiration Patti.

Much love Jenny xxxx

40. Deb says:

I have a BS in ART ED. Teaching K and Gr. 1 full time in a pre, K and 1 building!
    (That’s a lot of little wiggly tooth smiles!!!)
    What an honor it is.

I am contracted for the school year, the same number of days the classroom teachers are contracted. During testing my schedule is altered but I can continue to offer art!!!
    My art room has sinks for short and tall people, a kiln, and a budget!

Only regret: 1/2 hour classes coming and going. A bit of a spin! The solution has been to break experiences down into smaller parts.

Love this sight!
    Thanks for the energy, ideas, and fellowship! :- )

41. Julie Trout says:

I have a Bachlors in Design with a minor in art history, teaching certificate and a Masters of Education. Art certified K-12. I have taught in many schools-public and private and many grade levels and subjects. For the past five years exclusively art.
    I am currently in a public elementary school. My position is funded through the school. I work a .5 schedule- my “half day” is (4) 30 minute classes- and two full days -(8)- 30 minute classes with 5 minutes in between. I am what you call a PCP teacher which is when other teachers have their planning periods. Dismal approach to arts education. However I feel lucky I even have a job teaching a subject I love.
    I am in Seattle and since I am a certified employee follow the regular school year calendar.
    Thank you for your lessons as they are a life saver and a huge source of inspiration!

42. Sarah says:

I teach in Mason, Ohio at the Early Childhood Center. I am art certified and have my masters in education. I have been teaching for 6 years. The way my district runs is: we have an early childhood center which houses PreK-1st grade, 2, 2nd-3rd grade buildings, 1 4-6grade building, 1 middle school 7-8 grade and one gigantic high school that we nicknamed the Taj Mahal 9-12grade.
    I got hired right from student teaching and my first year consisted of Unified Arts. I taught art, gym, music and library to a group of 250 kids. There were 2 other teachers for Unified Arts, so we all collaborated together. My second year of teaching, my building moved to content specific and since I was the only Unified Arts teacher certified to teach art, I got the position. I have been teaching kindergarten art since. I currently hold a continuing contract in my district.
    My schedule is: I teach 5 days a week. I teach only Kindergarten art and have roughly 730 kids a week. I see my children the same day and time each week for 30 minutes. I have a total of 19 classes. Kindergarten at my school is AM and PM. My contract day starts at 8:25 and ends at 3:50. Within these 19 classes, 3 of them are adaptive art filled with children with severe autism or special needs.
    I absolutely love what I do! It does get redundant teaching the same thing over and over, but since each class is filled with lots of different personalities and needs, it keeps my job fun.

43. Mrs. Gorzen says:

I am a certified K-12 Visual Art Educator and I earned my degree from Saginaw Valley State University. I teach art and computers at a small private Catholic school outside of Lansing, Michigan in the small town of Portland. I teach 1-12 grade art and 6-12 grade computers. The past two years I also taught DK and Kindergarten art.
    I teach all school year round, every day of the week. Throughout my week I have a total of 13 different classes that I teach and within a day I teach 9 different classes. My schedule this year has been my craziest yet, and I have only been teaching for three years.
    It keeps me going and I really do enjoy it, though I need a break once in a while!! I really appreciate your blog, especially as a new teacher, it has helped me get through! Thanks!!

44. This is my second year teaching art. I teach 3rd-12th and I teach history 7th-9th. I am not credentialed.
    I teach 5 days a week 1-4 classes/day.
    I live in Louisville, KY. I teach 36 weeks a year. Even during testing.

45. Erica says:

1. Do you teach art exclusively? Are you credentialed? Yes, Yes

2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day? Mon-Friday, 5 classes per day

3. Where do you live? MN

…and just one more…

4. How many weeks a year do you teach? I’m wondering if you teach during testing weeks, parent/teacher conferences, etc. From mid-August – June, yes I work all year except for the holidays we get off of course.

46. Kati says:

1. Do you teach art exclusively? Are you credentialed?
    I teach art exclusively. I graduated college with a major in Art Ed. This is my third year teaching.

2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day?
    I work 5 days a week at two schools. 60 minute periods. 4 on Monday, 5 on Tuesday (2 at one school, 3 at another schools), 5 on Wednesday, 3 on Thursday and 5 on Friday = 22 classes (K-5) I have 500 students.

Madison, WI

I teach every day that the kids are in school. I am also expected to be in school during conferences. I am expected to oversee testing if it falls during that class’ art time.

5. Don’t you think it’d be interesting to see how school districts fund art?
    My school district pays for my salary. My budget is around $5/student at one school and $3/student at the other school (the principal determines that amount). I also get some parent donations (oddly enough at the school where I get $5/student).

47. Katherine says:

Yes, I have certification in two states. PA & VA – K-12 Art Education

2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day?
    I teach at one school, all 609 students. Our resouce schedule is on a roating 6 day cycle. Each day I teach K-5, and PreSchool is added in once a week. So I teach anywhere from 6 to 7 grades each day.

VA

I teach every day school is in session. During the end of the year, when testing comes around, if a grade level has a test during their resource time, then they just get skipped for that day. Otherwise, I teach every day- 180 days!

I am actually taking classes right now to get my masters in Education Administration, and the currecnt class I am taking is School Finance. It’s very intersting to see how the school budget it put together!

48. Maggie says:

1. I teach k-5 art and am certified In Michigan.
    2. I teach 5 days a week 6 classes a day. 475 students. I teach everyday of the school year. We are actually on a 3 day rotating block schedule our school had 3 sections of every grade so when they don’t come to Art they go to Music and Gym. They have their “specials” the same time everyday so the classroom teachers have their planning time together. Which is very nice for the kids and the teachers : )
    3. I live in West Michigan by the lake : )

49. Lisa says:

1. I teach k-12 grade. I have a ba in art with a k-12 education edorsement.
    2. I teach 3 classes of highschool a day, 3 classes of elementary, and 1 middle school. I only see each elementary class once a week ( sometimes less if there is a snow day) and I have MS classes for 4 1/2 weeeks. I teach approximatly 350 students a week. Although my administration is wonderful they still sometimes want to try to add more duties such as study halls and lunch.
    3. I live in the NW corner of Iowa.
    4. I teach every week every day except for 2 days of semester test for the HS and a few fun days the elem. takes. I am funded under the school.

I am the art department, so it is nice to use your site to see what others are doing and validate some of my own ideas. It is such a help to find good lessons for the elem. Thank you!

50. MGarrity says:

1. Do you teach art exclusively? Are you credentialed?
    I do teach art exclusively, however I teach at a school for kids with autism. I am licensed to teach art k-12. I also have my Masters in Special Education.

2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day?
    I teach everyday, and the amount of classes vary per day. I have a closet for an art room, so I can only fit half the class in at a time (about 3 or 4 kids). I have 22 classes total. Age and ability levels are greatly varied from pre-school to age 22.

I live in Walpole, Massachusetts

…and just one more…

Since I teach at a special ed school, we teach year round except for one week in December, February, April, and 2 weeks in July. I also cannot repeat art lessons as there are not “grades” – students stay in the same classroom based on age/ability level.

51. sharon says:

HI Patty,
    I teach in Alberta, Canada. I have taught art in the elementary grades for 23 years, but I am not an art specialist. I am a regular classroom teacher so I teach core subjects as well as art. Most elementary schools do not have art specialists. This happens more at the high school level, so elementary classroom teachers are left to their own devices. Luckily, I have a personal interest in art and this has helped me alot in teaching the subject.
    Elementary teachers incorporate art into other subjects. For example, I have students use a visual journal for Social Studies and use art for several language arts projects.
    We start teaching at the end of August and go to the end of June.
    Our days start at 8:40 and end at 3:00.
    P.S. Your website is fabulous!

52. Kirstie says:

K-8 in New Jersey
    approx. 700 students per week
    2 schools- 3 days at one (3rd-8th grade) and 2 at the other (k-2)
    Sept-June 8:36-3pm
    one tiny 40 min planning period per day 1st period then 7 classes straight! at the 3rd- 8th grade school. The k-2 school is a little better with 6 classes per day 50 min. long
    certification in Art Education k-12

When I started teaching in this district I had about 400 students, was at one school, and had a fabulous gifted and talented middle school program. Unfortunately there were budget cuts and now I am the only Art teacher. I love seeing all of the grade levels, but the schedule is quite exhausting. I could do so much more for the students if I had more time to plan. I use to do the scenery for the school play, teen arts festival ,and a bunch of other artistic things around the school.

53. Frances says:

1. Do you teach art exclusively? Are you credentialed?
    Last year, I taught art exclusively in one school (JK – 8) of over 500 students. I am certified to teach Jk to 6 in all subjects and I also hold a specialist certificate is reading. My passion though is art. I L.O.V.E. kids art and love teaching it!

2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day?
    I taught one day a week visiting 6 different classes each day. Over the course of a month I was able to visit each class in the school. I say “visit” because I was a travelling art teacher.

3. Where do you live?
    I live in Guelph, Ontario, Canada; 1 hour west of Toronto.

4. How many weeks a year do you teach?
    I teach 40 (I think) weeks a year. I start the first day of school and finish the last day of school.

54. JH says:

1. Do you teach art exclusively? Are you credentialed?
    Yes, I have a K-12 Art endorsement.

2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day?
    I teach 5 days a week, 5 classes a day (and most are doubled). I see almost 800 kids a week.

Las Vegas

…and just one more…
    The whole year. The only times I don’t teach are “field days” which is only 2 days a year.

55. Jody S says:

1. Do you teach art exclusively? Are you credentialed?
    Yes, I teach at four schools. I have a BA in Design and Certified Visual arts.

2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day?
    I teach 43 classes per week, five days per week. I see 1,170 students (that’s where I got the name for my new blog) I have between 8-10 classes per day, often no break between classes.

Clarkston, Michigan

4. How many weeks a year do you teach?
    We are usually starting a couple weeks before the students in August and then a week after the students. I also teach a clay camp in the summer. Although I feel like I teach all the time, it’s on my mind constantly. This is our spring break and I’ve already been up to the school twice and am spending the break setting up the blog! Truly LOVE MY JOB!
    Jody

56. Howdy Howdy,

this is my frist year teaching and it is going pretty well.

1. Do you teach art exclusively? Are you credentialed?
    I do. I am in charge of two elementary schools that together total about 300-325 kids.
    I have a B.A. in Art Education form the uni. of Northern Iowa with an empasis in Ceramics.

Currently I am technically half time teaching and the other half time hours are spent as a paraprofessional in older kid’s rooms.

2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day?
    Mon-Wednesday every morning I am at one school. Then inthe afternoon I punch in to become a para for the same school
    On Thur. and Fri. I start at a different school and in the fternoon come back to my first school to be a para.

I live in Cascade Iowa, a town a little south of Dubuque

…and just one more…

I teach all weeks during our normal school session. We most definitely have art during big testing weeks, and other functions.
    As a para/ art teacher I have also helped with many other projects. This can include anything from calling numbers at a bingo fundraiser, to making art auction items, to helping with school dances, to recess duty, to subbing for someone last minute when no one else is available.
    We do what we can with the money we have and try to make the best of it.

57. Jen Cooper says:

1. Do you teach art exclusively? Are you credentialed?

I am a Connecticut State Certified Teacher in the content area of Art Education. It is the only subject I teach. My certification is Pre-K through 12, although my current assignment is K-6.

2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day?

I am currently assigned to two different buildings but have learned that next year I will be in three different buildings. I currently spend Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday in one building and Wenesday and Friday in a different one. Next year I will be working Monday, Tuesday, Wenesday in one building, Thursday and Friday morning in a second building and Friday afternoon in a third building. I have on average 6-7 classes a day of 40 minutes each with 30 minutes for lunch (though it often winds up being 20 or 15 minutes because I need to work through it). We’re supposed to have at least 30 minutes of prep time a day but with door duty or bus duty in the mornings and afternoons I sometimes do not get my whole time. My day starts at 8am and ends at 3:30 (our students by the way have days that end at 3:15)

3. Where do you live?

As mentioned above I live in Connecticut, however I live an hour away from the school system where I work. I spend two hours a day commuting – one in the morning on the way there and one on the way home.

I teach from the last week of August until almost the middle of June. Though, with snow days I am now teaching to the end of June. We start teaching the very first day of school and we teach up till the very last day of school. We are required to be at parent teacher conferences even if no one ever comes to talk to the specialists (P.E., Library, Art, and Music) which means we can sit in our classrooms until 9pm without anyone ever speaking to us. We change and move our schedules for CMTs (Connecticut Mastery Tests) to make sure that classroom teachers will still get their prep time. It’s not about the kids getting art, not really, its about making sure the “regular” teachers get preperation time. We attend also have to atend department meetings once a month in addition to staff meetings in building once a month (two meetings every month) and have three days of professional development/teacher workshops – most of which don’t apply to my content area.

The board of education funds us. We are regular staff although our purpose is more to make sure that classroom teachers get a break from their kids then that the kids desperately need art. Our budget has been cut by 10% every year that I have been here – and I’ve been teaching for 11 years now. I buy supplies for myself and the classroom teachers but often wind up spending about 500 dollars of my own money a year to make sure my program stays afloat.

58. Ellen says:

2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day?
    I teach at an Intermediate school (5-6). I teach every day and have 7 to 8 classes a day, each are 40 minute classes. Students come in one door and exit another, just as another class is coming in, there is no break between them..whooo do work hard!

Pleasant Hill MO

…and just one more…

I teach the whole school year, specials classes do not stop for testing or other occassions. I like that though, from a kids perspective, they need an ahhhhh moment after sitting at the desk taking tests all day, art is a way to get those test stresses out out and just enjoy the process of creating.

59. Erica says:

1. Do you teach art exclusively? Are you credentialed?
    I got my BFA in Art Ed and am certified K-12 in Illinois, My first year I taught in a k-12 building and now I am at a K-5 building.

2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day?
    I am full time, 5 days a week.
    I teach 8 periods a day, 45 minutes each NO transition time, plus I have a prep and lunch on top of that. Most days I teach 5 or 6 art classes. The rest of the periods I am required to teach reading interventions/tutoring,I have no credentials for that. (Last year I only did this 30 minutes a day and now it has become 1/4 of my schedule!) Whoever made the factory comment, I know how you feel!

A city in Central IL

Full time, August-June. They rearrange the schedule so they don’t miss for testing. Sometimes a few kids miss for makeups. I am required to be at the school for conferences, but nobody ever comes to see me so I just work in my room.

My salary is through the district. A year ago they just added art to be in all the schools. Mine hadn’t had art in at least 10 years. This year I believe they have everyone full time. (Most elem/middle schools are split assignments)

The district gives the fine arts teachers a 100$ budget. We are a city district and most of the kids are on the low end of the socioeconomic ladder, so nobody has their own supplies and the schools themselves cannot do much else to help. So almost all our art teachers have been told to start programs from nothing with $100. When I walked into my classroom it was a teachers desk and bare walls. Not a pencil, paperclip, or crayon in sight.

I am VERY lucky to be at the “best” elem school (on the middle class part of town) and the PTA is able to raise money through the annual art show and they give me all that money, which is $800.

60. Susan says:

1. Do you teach art exclusively? Are you credentialed?
    I teach art exclusively. I have a BFA in Visual Art, a BA in Education, and a Masters in Education. I am certified in art K-12 (also English, 9-12; Gifted, K-12; and ESOL, K-12)>

2. How many days do you teach per school/how many classes per day?
    I teach 5 days per week. I teach at a K-8 school and teach all 1120+ students in the building. I teach 8 40 minute periods per day plus one prep. I previously taught K-12 art at a small district in another state and taught 6 period 50 minutes each.

3. Where do you live?
    I live in the West Valley of Phoenix.

…and just one more…

I teach all year just like the rest of the teachers. I teach through testing, etc. because the school believes (and I agree) that the kids need a break from testing and they love going to their specials classes.