Brandon School's 2011 Art Show

I’m so proud of my students. They’ve done such great work this year, coming into art class with enthusiasm, energy and a can-do attitude. It was all on display last Thursday, the night of our Annual Art Show, filling the multi-purpose room with color and energy. A huge thanks to my art buddies Sandra, Jeannie and Annette for stapling and hanging ALL the art for our school community to enjoy.It all starts with 450 pieces of art that are mounted onto colored paper by the classroom teachers. Then, all the pieces are group according to class/grade levels and stapled onto colorful paper (36″ wide lengths).

Stapling the panels to the walls…

I like to take the pre-cut paper and lay it on the floor. Then I place the artwork on the paper, moving the pieces around until they fit. Once I’m satisfied with the arrangement, I use a long arm stapler and staple the pieces onto the sheet. I do all the artwork this way until everything is stapled to a paper.

Once the day of the art show arrives, we gather the paper, laden with heavy artwork and staple gun the panels around our multi-purpose room. I like to fold down about 4″ at the top of each panel just to give the panel top some stability.

Remember my post about  pocket door display boards? Look how nicely they work!

The artwork is stapled to the paper and then the paper is taped to the top of the display. We needed about 4 pieces of tape to make it stay. Very easy. To remove the art, just pull the paper and return entire panel to the classroom teacher.

If you haven’t had your art show yet, good luck and have fun. Take in the happy faces of both parents and kids. There is nothing more uplifting than elementary school art!

Past Art Shows:

2009 Brandon School Art Show

2010 Mountain View School Art Show

2010 Goleta Union Art Show

Share-it-banner-for-posts

1. Claire says:

Patty,
    Great pictures of the show! Did the teachers pick one piece of art for each student from the year’s portfolio? Can you make a guess as to how many hours of work your show takes to mount on the paper and then on the walls? I appreciate the extra information, Thanx. Claire

I keep all of the children’s art work in the art room. I create portfolio’s for each student and place them in class piles in file cabinets. Then I chose 1 piece per student for the show. Some kids may only have one finished piece but that’s rare. Usually I look to offer diversity with as many projects as possible. Easy for lower grades as we complete more projects but upper grades have less completed projects, so there is less diversity in projects.
      Teachers either mount the pieces themselves or delegate to an aid or parent. Either way, I don’t mount the artwork. For 450 pieces of art, it usually takes about two adults 7-8 hours to staple the pieces to the long panels of paper. Wear knee pads! It only takes about 1 1/2 -2 hours to “hang” the art panels to the walls. (3 adults)
      Hope this helps!

2. Julie says:

My first grader has his art show tomorrow night and I can’t wait to see all the elementary artwork! Yes, it is the absolute best – in addition to preschool artwork! I have two preschoolers as well ;)

3. Tobie says:

Wow Patty!! So impressive. We can copy your art projects but you really shine thru your students work. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing with the rest of us

4. Just found your amazing blog thru the list of the top 50 K blogs. As a former K-6 Elem Art teacher I am in awe & delight to see your effort & originality.

I am now in an Arts consultant phase, where I am a new author/illustrator w a blog & attempting to learn how to circulate it to a wider audience of teachers. I thought I’d learn from the best. Your blog SCREAMS the best!!

Congrats on being recognized for your effort. Keep up the amazing work!

5. Debbie says:

Are the teachers receiptive to the idea of mounting the work for you? Have you ever had an auction along with your art show as a fundraiser?

Yes. They are very supportive. Some teachers undertake the mounting themselves, others have an aids or parent mount the pieces. It’s a community effort. I’ve done many auction fundraisers but none associated with an art show. The art show at our school is a celebration of our students efforts with no requests for financial support (just volunteer support). We do auctions and other fundraisers during other times during the year. The art program benefits from these efforts.

6. kimi white says:

Was just wondering… I see you with an electric staple gun – how hard is it to remove the staples??? And did you only staple on “bulletin board” walls? Our school “frowns” on stapling – thanks

We have a special tackable surface in our MPR. We need to use the electric staple gun just to get through the layers of fabric. Since this surface was designed to be used in this way, staples are encouraged! We don’t, however, use the staples on the wood.

7. [...] have used the same system for over 10 years of art shows. This is what I [...]