Self-Guided Teaching Art 101 e-course

Registration opens May 1st

Teaching Art 101 is a 3-week, self-guided online e-course. It is designed for art teachers, school teachers, home-school parents—anyone wanting to enrich their student’s lives with art.

After publishing 30 art lesson ebooks and providing free art lesson tutorials and classroom management tips on my blog, I realized that art teachers still need more…more direct instruction, more training with techniques/supplies and more lesson plans. This e-course is a natural extension of all that I offer on my blog, but much, much more!

You don’t need to have experience as an art instructor—you don’t even have to be an artist to participate in this course. If you have the desire to teach children art, I will show you how on a private, password-protected blog.  The e-course  features video lessons,  forum, Flickr page to share your work and the ability to print out lessons.

If you are anything like me, I draw inspiration from people around me. I love learning new ideas, tips and techniques to make my life easier.  My lessons are jam-packed with photos and tips that will not only help you, but inspire you. The videos will show you how to teach beyond the basic lesson plan and to think about your own teaching goals. I invite you to sit back, grab a cup of coffee and learn how I source ideas, teach lessons and deal with all aspects of teaching art to children.

Teaching Art 101 will give you the tools you need to teach effective elementary school art lessons: video and photo tutorials that will help you understand the verbiage and techniques used in art instruction, inspirational lesson plans and handouts that are assembled into print-ready PDF’s.

By the end of this course you will have covered over 20 art lessons for grades k-6,  receive classroom management tips, art resources, plus access to our Flickr site and forum.

The art lessons in this e-course cover basic art techniques such as mixing tempera paint, proper paint application, basic drawing skills (observational and directed-line), how to work with chalk and oil pastel, how to make painted paper and basic watercolor techniques that are perfect for children. If you have never taught art to children before or are looking to learn easier application tips, this course is exactly what you need.

Teaching Art 101 E-Course Topics

• Your TEACHING GOALS and how to define them
  • How to develop your own TEACHING STYLE and not compare yourself to others
  • ART SUPPLIES: what I like, where to buy them and how to use them
  • Deciding the best art media for different projects
  • Dealing with FREE-CHOICE TIME and early finishers
  • Working through “MISTAKES”
  • How to make PAINTED PAPER
  • The art of using WATERCOLOR PAINTS
  • Scaling art LESSONS FOR DIFFERENT AGES
  • CRAFT vs ART
  • Dealing with ABSENT STUDENTS
  • PHOTOGRAPHING ARTWORK
  • ORGANIZING and PLANNING YOUR ART CURRICULUM
  • 24 PDF PRINT READY LESSON PLANS!

Duration:

There are a total of nine art sessions with 4-6 lesson per session. You will have 6 months to view all videos, print out the PDF art lesson plans, post homework to the Flickr site and participate on the forum.

Fee:

$79 (through DSS store only)

Date:

Once you pay for the course, you will be given a URL, password and username. Access to the classroom will last 6 months from date of purchase.

Log-in Information:

Your log-in information (username and password) will be emailed to you immediately after payment is processed. This email will be sent to the email associated with your PayPal or Google Wallet account. Please make sure this email is correct.

Who is this class for?

Teaching Art 101 is for art teachers, classroom teachers and parents who wish to incorporate art into their classrooms or learning environments. This e-course teaches art through the perspective of an art teacher and is meant for adults teaching art to children and not necessarily for children to view as a tutorial.

You must be familiar with how to navigate a blog (menu bars, sidebars, reading posts, watching videos, printing out lesson plans, etc). Videos are high-defintion videos and work best when you have a good internet connection. This course is best watched on a computer and not a smart phone or ipad. If you can watch the video below, then you are good!

Teaching Art 101 introduces strategies for teaching basic art techniques and does not include ceramics, form-based projects or advanced art techniques. if you are interested in these, my next course, Beyond the Basics might be perfect for you.

Requirements:

• Mac or PC with high-speed internet connection for playing videos. Slower dial-up connections may not provide the best quality for our HD videos.
  • Free Flickr membership (invitation to join our Flickr group will be offered once enrolled)
  • Basic art supplies. A list will be given to you after registration.
  • A journal, notebook or sketchbook to write down notes from class.
  • Your creative best!

Suggested Reading Material

What will I learn in this e-course?

• So much! I love teaching to children and I love helping art teachers.  If you are familiar with my blog, then you are familiar with my teaching style. By watching my videos, you will see and hear what I say to kids and realize that if I can do it, so can you!
  • You will also learn how to develop your own lessons, photograph children’s art and find inspiration in the work that you do.
  • I carefully selected the lessons to include a variety of basic art techniques so you can see how I teach my most popular lessons plus new ones.
Will you offer a letter of completion for my school district?
  • I received many requests regarding class credit and the best I can do for teachers is to offer a letter of completion, course outline and hours of the course (15 hours). This certificate is available for you to print out anytime.

Please read the following:

• The videos cannot be shared or downloaded and must be viewed within the allotted time frame.
  • PDF lesson plans will accompany each art lesson.
  • This is a work-at-your-own-pace class with no “live” sessions. Feel free to log onto the course whenever you have time.
  • Due to the technical nature of this e-course, refunds will not be offered once the class begins. If you are unsure about what this course can do for you, please feel free to email me at patty.palmer@deepspacesparkle.com. I am more than happy to answer all your questions.
  • Please note: This is an online course. You will log onto a private blog to view the lessons. You should be familiar with the appearance of a blog and how it works. If you visit and peruse Deep Space Sparkle, then you will do great!

Still need convincing? Watch this…

1. Patty says:

This is a great question. Honestly, I’m not really sure if this class qualifies for credits/hours or not. Do you know how would I look into this?

2. Patty says:

I don’t have any concrete plans but I’m starting to feel confident that I can do this course again in the late Fall. No dates yet, but if you can’t make the summer session, there is a strong chance that a Fall session will happen. Hope to see you then! Good luck with the writing!

• Christine Schroer says:

Patty,
      I just saw your Beyond the Basics course and wished I was enrolled last month! Do you currently have another class running that I can enter or is there a way to view the Beyond the Basics course without the “live” content. I am a first year art teacher, after years as a freelance graphic designer. My art techniques are a little “rusty” since my fine art training. I know that both of your classes (BB and T101) would probably benefit me. When can I enroll for the Beyond the Basics and which of your classes do you think would benefit my students the most this fall? I can’t seem to email you on the side bar, so if you could email me that would be GREAT! Thanks for sharing your skills with us in the Midwest! I enjoyed your appearance at the AOE online conference!

• Hi Christine,
        I will have another session of Beyond the Basics in Mid-October. As soon as I launch my new store, you will be able to register. The Teaching Art 101 class is my first love though. If you are new to teaching art or just need some cool lessons, this course shares all my tricks on teaching technique plus tons of inspiration, organization, books, etc. I think you will love either course. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

3. Christy says:

I was curious about the credits as well… I would get much more about teaching art from this course to use for credit for license renewal!
    love you blog
    Thanks for your time!
    K-3 Art Teacher
    Christy

4. Margaret says:

Patti,
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!! your art lessons! I have used many with my classes, and my students have enjoyed creating fabulous pieces based on the lessons.
    I am interested in your course, but don’t know if I’ll be available at that time. I was planning on purchasing your PDF files ($5.00 each books, etc.) as soon as I could sit down for a length of time to do so. Will your files still be available for purchase?
    Thanks!
    Margaret

5. Kim says:

Looking forward to signing up for your course. I am a para in Kindergarten and I have bought and utilized your ebooks and some of your ideas for centers. I have no art training so I this will really help me. Two questions. I will be out of town until the 28th, will I be able to catch up? Also, can you tell me what supplies I will need so I can get them from school before it closes for summer.

Thanks!

6. I am interested in learning how to teach kids any type of art.

The problem is, I am not an artist.

I am a retired MD who wishes to spend time with kids in the family in a creative way.

Do you think your lessons would be useful for me?

Hi Flora,
      The course is designed for art educators but it’s not a requirement to be one. If you have any interest in sharing art with children, you will enjoy the lessons I have prepared, However, there are many classroom organization/management post that are directed to helping art teachers. You’ll need to decide if you are okay glossing over those parts.

7. Jennifer says:

I would love to do this class as I am an art docent at my boys’ school. I was thinking it would be fun to do the projects WITH my boys at home. Could they watch along with me and do the projects?

Hi Jennifer,
      This course is geared for adults teaching children art in the classroom or at home. It”l give you tips and guidance for teaching your own children as well as children in your classes. The videos are also designed with an adult’s perspective in mind, but if your children want to watch, it is certainly fine. I just wanted to make sure that you understand the nature of the course and that is teaching art to kids, not for kids.

8. Stephanie says:

Hello! I would love to take your e-course, but will you be offering it at a later date in the near future?

9. Sharon says:

Hi Patty,
    I paid for the course through PayPal but I didn’t have to fill out a registration form. Is there something I missed and need to complete? This is new for me but I’m really excited about the course!
    Thanks,
    Sharon

Did you receive the link with the registration information? It contains some information on the course, what supplies you will need and a receipt. if you have paid, we have your email and name and we will be sending you more information as the course draws near. Can’t wait to “meet” you in class!

10. ANI says:

HELLO,
    I AM PLANNING TO TAKE THE ART 101 CLASS. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF I SHOULD BUY THE BOOKS YOU RECOMMEND OR YOU ARE COVERING THE LESSONS DURING THE CLASS.

Hi Ani,
      You don’t have to buy anything else from me to participate in class. When you pay, you will receive a link to download a supply list for class.

11. Lorraine G says:

Hi Patty,

When do you think that registration will open for your fall e-course? I want to mark it on my calendar so I won’t forget :)

Thx, Lorraine

Hi Lorraine,
      I’ll put you on an email list notifying you of upcoming registration. My guess is that it will be around end-September.

12. Belinda Thompson says:

I would like to sign up for the fall ecourse. What do I nned to do to make sure I make the class. I tried to subscribe to this site? I tried but it won’t let me. Thanks so much. Belinda.

13. Hello
    I would love to receive the e-mail notification to sign up for your Art course in the fall! Is there any problem with taking your course even though I’m in Canada?

Hi Susan,
      I’ll put you on my advance mailing list so you can register early. There are no “live” sessions in the e-course so anyone around the world can participate. Would love to have you!

14. Patricia says:

Hi Patty,

Congratulations on such a gorgeous website you have here! I love it and really love all the beautiful art you do with your students. I’ve been looking for art for kids since I homeschool my 6 year old son and up to now haven’t done hardly any art at all with him –I guess I’ve never been into arts before, but now am so eager to learn and do art with my son. Please keep me in your advanced mailing list for this e-course. I am so interested! Can’t wait!!!

Thank you so much!

15. shelly wheeler says:

Patty – i don’t know if i overlooked the price/registration page but couldn’t find the info. could you please send me an email with the cost so I can see if my school will pay?

16. Phyllis says:

Hi Patty,

I just found your website and absolutely love it! I am a reading teacher between schools. I will be at an alternative school this fall. I have always included art projects through the school year by connecting them to literature. How do I register and pay for the upcoming e-course.

17. Lisa Ramirez says:

Hi Patty – I would love to be your student for a while since I’m already a fan. Your generosity is so inspiring. Please put me on the advanced notification list for the fall session. I’ll be looking forward to joining your class.

18. terry says:

The class looks great! I am starting out as a high school art and photography teacher and wonder if any of the lessons would work with that age group. I am strong in photography, but feeling a bit frazzled getting the art ideas together.

Hi Terry,
      This e-course is specifically designed for elementary school art, but if you like my website lessons, you will probably like the e-course.

19. Phyllis says:

Patty,

Please add me to your fall e-course advanced notification list. I will be working with special needs students and believe it is important for them to experience hands on creativity. Your class would be ideal for me to learn how to incorporate a wide variety of art projects. They will love it!

20. Jenny Grahek says:

Hi Patty
    I have been using your lessons in my classes and the kids love them and have been blown away by how clever they are.. I would love to join in on the online course however I am in Australia….will this effect anything? Is it Live???

Cheers
    Jenny

Hi Jenny,
      No, the e-course is not live so you can learn and work at your own pace. I had several Aussies joining me in June! Hope to see you in October.

21. I really do want to sign up for your September art class; however, I do not have a paypal account and am unsure of procedure for establishing one. Is there another acceptable way of paying you for the class? Thank you!! My concern is that class will be closed before I have a paypal account.

You can pay via Google Wallet which uses your credit card. You can also mail me a check. if you would like to do that, please email me (link in side bar) and we can make arrangements.

22. zengirl says:

Looking forward to joining. What will be available until November 30th (under details) and August 3rd ( under FAQ). Both dates are mentioned in your info on the class.
    Thank you so much and so happy that I found you online.

I offered this course last summer, so the date “August 3rd” was a reference to that course. The course will be closed on November 30th. Thanks for the heads-up!

23. Kate says:

Hi Patty,
    I registered for the course at the beginning of September and have somehow lost the mail that accepted my registration, could you just double check. I´ve bought nearly all the supplies which are needed.
    Will you contact me when the actual course begins? or do I need to click onto you website?
    Sorry for all of these questions, I just don´t want to miss out on anything ;)

24. Lindsey says:

I am a new high school level art teacher in need of some help, will this class help me or is it only for elementary?

Thanks!
    Lindsey

Hi Lindsey,
      No. This e-course is meant for elementary school students. The art lesson techniques as well as subject matters would be far too young/basic for high schoolers. Sorry!

25. Will the Teaching Art 101 Class offered this coming winter be the same as the class offered last summer?

26. Stacy says:

Hi Patty,
    I’m a first year art teacher, and I’ve found a lot of inspiration from your website. Thanks! I’m considering taking your online course for winter 2013. I know this is mostly a matter of opinion, but do you think your course would be helpful for me to take, even after I have taken art education courses at the college level?

• If you are inspired by my blog, you probably would like the e-course. I packed alot into it: 27 videos of lessons demonstrations, inspiration and technique. There are also new lessons and PDF booklets that I don’t offer on my blog. So, it’s just my blog amped up! It’s hard to say it if it will help you, but I wish I had this course when I first began teaching!

27. Elizabeth says:

Hi Patty! Iloveyour site and leswsons plans and have downloaded quite a few of your fabulous plans. I want to take your course this spring and I just wanted to make sure that most of the lessons offered through the course are different from ones we can already purchase. Thanks!

• The course I’m offering this February 2013, Teaching Art 101, is the exact same course as last summer and fall. The new course, Beyond the Basics< will be offered in June 2013. Registration will open in May.

28. Cajungirl says:

I don’t know if my I-phone (with no wifi) can handle this course online. Guess I’m old school…How can I test this? I am not technically savvy…I know my little private lesson kids would benefit from your ideas!

No chance this can be printed up for us old-timers?

You are doing such a great job, sparkle girl!! Just being able to view your site is an
    Inspiration!!

• You can always test the videos by scrolling to the bottom of this post and playing the sample video. You can judge wether or not you could handle watching the videos from your phone (which I would think would be very frustrating!) Some videos are 20 minutes long.
      The course is only accessible digitally, but if you could borrow someones computer for a time plus your iphone, you may be able to get through!
      Love your comment by the way…full of personality!

29. .Lisa Davis Larry says:

Hi Patty,

I am looking for a full time art teacher job preferably K through 5 but I.am open to 6 – 12. .I live in Culver City, California and teach K-5 acrylic painting in two elementary schools after school. i have a K-12 Art Ed.credential but I haven’t taught full time. would you recommend the Teaching Art 101 class or Beyond basics. I am proposing to teach art to the assistant superentendent in My home toen at one of the 3 elementary schools that do’nt have art. The art teacher is paid thru the PTA. Pretty sad huh! I need to get ideas for K-5 in a variety of mixed mediums. Best, Lisa Davis Larry

• I would recommend the Teaching Art 101. It gives you a really good base for teaching all grade levels. It covers more than Beyond the Basics will, as far as class room management, etc. goes.

30. Kate says:

Hi Patty, I did your course in October and was wondering if this course will be the same or are you going to be teaching other techniques etc.
    Again thanks for your positive art :-)

31. Linda says:

Hello,
    I am interested in taking the course but I was wondering if I’d need an access to youtube to be able to see the videos? I live in China and unfortunately youtube is banned by the government.

32. mrin says:

Hi Patty

I live in India and want to join the e-course that starts next month. Where do I pay? Can i Pay online?

Mrin

33. wendy says:

Hi-
    I have paid for the course, but there was no registration page, it just went to the shopping cart. Are you able to get our email, etc…from the paypal transaction?

• Hi Wendy,
      Yes, the only information we need is your email address. The address associated with your paypal account is where your sign-in information is sent to. If you would like the info to be sent to another address, just email me and I will make the change.
      Can’t wait until the 25th!

34. Hello. My name is Kimberly Faires and I am DYING to take your next class: Teaching Art 101. I was going to buy it tonight and I noticed the registration is closed. Is there ANY WAY that I can get into this class. I sincerely need to take it asap and am hopeful that you might be able to make an exception. Please let me know your thoughts. If you allow me into the class, can you please email me the link in which to register. I am 100% ready to pay and take what I know will be a dynamic course. Thank you so very much.

Warmly,

Kimberly
    kimbyfaires@gmail.com

35. Will you offer the course again soon? I was supposed to sign up my art teacher and I let the deadline slip by.

• You can still register today but only through my Teachers Pay Teachers store (link in post). You will need to email the art teacher’s email address plus your TpT user name for me to connect the purchase and student.
      I won’t be offering this course again in the same format. It will be offered as a self-paced course (without interaction from me, forums, etc.) I’ll have updates on this in May.
      Thanks!

36. leng says:

I’m happy to see all your works done up here ..
    Surely will get some of the studies kit from you.. awesome

37. Leila says:

Hi Mrs Palmer,

I want to register the Teaching Art 101 e-course, but it seems close, when I regoster?

38. Leila says:

Hi Mrs Palmer,

I want to register the Teaching Art 101 e-course, but it seems close, when I register?

thanks

• Registration is not open yet for the self-guided version of the course. You can add your email address to the mailing list (side bar) for registration notification.

39. sana asad says:

hi , i want to register for this course please update me when u are going to open the registrations

40. Jacqui says:

Hi Patty,
    I am new to this site and love your work having just purchased a couple of your lesson plans. I am in Australia where our second school term has just started. I am a fine art graduate and teach art privately to years 1-6. Please excuse my desperation but I really really need to start the above course ASAP. Reason – I have already enrolled in your ‘Beyond the Basics’ starting in June and would like to have this first one under my belt before starting. Is there any chance of starting the Teaching Art 101 early???
    Great website and great idea,
    Cheers from Oz,
    Jacqui

• Sorry Jacqui. There are students still working and using the course until April 30th. In order for the site to turn into self-guided mode, there are a number of navigation items that will need to be sorted. Only 2 more weeks!

41. Shirley Timmer says:

Hi Patty,

I would like to take the Art 101 course for teacher reaccreditation points. I have talked to my state department of education and I can apply for pre-approval of using it as such if I give them more information on the course contents. I am so excited about this opportunity.

My question is this: I know that the course will not be available for the self guided mode until May, but will there still be a certificate of some sort that can be turned in for course completion?

Thanks!

42. Shirley Timmer says:

Patty,

Sorry to bug you again. But I thought this would be helpful to others. As I wrote in my original post, I have to write a letter to my state department of education to request permission to use this course for license renewal points. This is what I have written for course verification:

Verification of Work:

I will write a paper on the following:

1. My teaching goals as an art instructor
    2. An educational plan for:
    a. how I will help children work through art mistakes
    b. my plan for dealing with free-choice time and early finishers
    c. my plan for handling children who have been absent and come in
    late to an art project
    3. Three unique and original 40 minute art lessons
    4. One art project which is scaled for different age groups
    5. Three paragraph paper on teaching art vs. teaching a craft
    6. Photographs of my student’s work (based on my original lesson plans)

The above will be placed in a portfolio, reviewed by my supervising art teacher and signed by the elementary principle and the head of school. A copy of the portfolio will be included in my renewal application.

It would still be nice if there was a certification paper of some sort which came with the course that my supervisor could sign after reviewing my work.

Thank you so much for all you do. I love this website and would not be the art teacher I am without it. You have inspired so many.

Bless you!

Shirley

• irine says:

Hi Patty,
      I am interested in teaching art to children. I have done lots of short courses and i am naturally talented artist. Would you think this course teaching art 101 will help me? If there are other courses if you have please let me know. if i start this 101 course, is there any particular time i have to enroll.
      thanking you
      irine

• I think this is a perfect course for you. It’ll give you lots of great instructions on how to teach techniques, what to expect, etc. Once you pay for the lesson, you can start as soon as you receive your log-in info (usually within 8 hours).

43. Elizabeth Dilts says:

I would love to take this ecourse this fall – and would also like to try and use it for certification points. Please let me know how to register. I will be teaching elementary art for the first time this fall and 13 years teaching third grade. Please let me know how and when I can do this!

44. Elizabeth Dilts says:

Ok – I just figured it out! I see where to sign up and add it to may cart and pay – I just need to know the dates for the fall session. We go back to school July 25!!! here – but I know that’s not Fall…

Teaching Art 101 is a self-guided course. This means you can sign up and pay and begin immediately. There are around 80 people taking the course right now so there should be others to communicate with.

45. Quinta Peterson says:

Hi Patty!

I stumbled onto your website through the Pinterest Looking Glass! I have the chance to teach Art for 5th-8th grade this year. Am considering taking Teaching Art 101, as soon as I know for sure. Meanwhile, do you have any suggestions for something similar to help me with 7th and 8th grade?
    Thank you!