Ancient Greece Mural Project

Capping off the 6th grade promotion festivities was the reveal of the annual 6th grade mural. This year we chose to do Ancient Greece, with many student’s incorporating mythological creatures into their tile creations.

We used terra cotta clay to create our tiles. To save time and to take advantage of the sgraffito technique, we painted our underglaze directly onto the greenware. This is sometimes difficult as kids have a tendency to leave many fingerprints. But that’s easily remedied with later touch-ups.

Our district supermen, Mike and Frank, did an excellent job of mounting the mural in seriously record time (perhaps a few hours before promotion?) and I video taped their entire process. I will be adding this segment to my Ceramic Tile Mural eBook. Anyone who has purchased this e-book in the past will receive this free update sometime later this summer.

I want to congratulate all my sixth grade students for completing this wonderful legacy to our special school.

1. Jen says:

Really lovely!!

2. Wonderful mural! Well done, 6th graders!!

3. Pat says:

Very nice! I wish you would film the entire process from start to finish! I would buy it on DVD! :)

4. Ana says:

WOW!!!! Beautiful!

5. I have linked to this post in an upcoming blog post on summer art projects for kiddos. I’d love your permission to use the mural photo as well. (We are definitely doing this project at home in the fall when we start ancient history. Thanks for the idea!)

6. Jessica says:

Patty- I just love these murals- They always turn out so great, I am just amazed.

7. [...] Certainly enough time to paint with underglaze, glaze and do a second firing, right? Yes, but the 6th grade mural was moving along a bit slowly too. The mural project is the big Kahuna…the Grand Finale for [...]

8. Janet says:

I would love to do a ceramic tile mural project with my 4th grade. Do you think that it’s possible/manageable to a project like this already in 4th grade?
    Thanks for your help!
    Best wishes,
    Janet

9. [...] teachers is generally the busiest of the year and it’s no different for me. Art shows, the BIG mural project, ceramic units…yikes! But add in a new e-course and a new site, and things start to look a [...]

10. jeansrosebuds@yahoo.com says:

We do not have a kiln. Can air dry clay be used for a project such as this? I love these ceramic murals!

No, I don’t think so. The kiln creates very hard, durable tiles and air dry clay might not achieve this. Even with sealer, I would be skeptical. To be sure, you can ask a tile guy at a hardware or ceramic specialty store in your area. It would depend on what type of air dry clay you use, whether it’s an indoor or outdoor mural and what type of sealer.
      Great question!

11. lynn Noun says:

Amazing mural. How long did it take without the installation? My 5th graders are expecting me to do clay with them which I love! But, I don’t think I have enough time.