Beyond the Basics e-Course

Beyond-the-Basics-1

I’m thrilled to introduce Beyond the Basics, the second e-course offered by Deep Space Sparkle. Like my first e-course, Beyond the Basics is an online course that you can do right from your own home, no matter what your time zone.

This 4-week e-course moves beyond the basic art techniques offered in Teaching Art 101 and takes you inside the teachings of form-based art projects, ceramics, papier-mache, acrylics, color theory and collage. This e-course will guide you through the techniques for each of these practices and will give you lessons for grades kindergarten through sixth grade. Many of these lessons can be adapted for middle school as well.

This course is jammed packed with lesson videos, photo lesson tutorials, PDF art lesson plans for you to print, handouts, art supply lists and teacher tips. Participate in the e-course-only forum with other art teachers from around the world; share ideas, ask questions and hear what works! Share your homework on the Beyond the Basics Flickr site (homework is always optional, but there is a new twist to homework requirements for this e-course… no pressure, but there may be prizes involved!)

For more details, visit my Beyond the Basic e-course page

Ceramic-classes

1. Lauren Maier says:

I took your original e-class and loved it. You are awesome! Thanks so much for all the time you put into your work for us and all the children who benefit from it.

2. Susan says:

I am looking forward to taking your first class here in a few weeks! This sounds like a great follow up.
    Love your tips and tricks. Thank you for sharing. The kids and I benefit from all you do. :)

3. This is so awesome! I have no doubt you’ve put together an amazing class. Off to share!

4. ranie says:

You are an asset to our art communities! Your lessons are simple and fun. I love trying them out on my after school students in grades k-4. Our results always create smiles. Your love for teaching art to children transcends into great artwork from children and into me a gratitude for beauty seen through the eyes of children. I look forward to taking part 2 of your online classes.

5. Leslie says:

Can I get college credit for you classes?

6. sue keith says:

when may I regiter for the basics e-course

7. Jill says:

Will you be able to provide a letter of completion witht the number of hours this course requires? I don’t need a certificate just documentation to prove I was enrolled and participated in this class.

8. [...] I will be opening registration for Beyond the Basics on April 1st. For those who have taken my first course, you already know that I packed the course with lots of videos, PDF’s and resources. Beyond the Basics will be no different…except it will be 4 weeks long instead of 3. You’ll also have longer to finish the course. You can read more details here. [...]

9. andrea says:

Hola Patty; soy de argentina, no se de donde es usted, pero la verdad que me he quedado maravillada con su portal, soy docente en primaria y secundaria en artes visuales y me parece muy interesante toda la información que nos brinda, estoy interesada en sus cursos y deseo tener nformacion de sus lbros, muchas gracias, Andrea

10. Valerie says:

Patty, I missed registration for the introductory course and hope I can take it this summer. Can I take the advanced class out of order? I would like to register soon, but am fearful I’ll be lost without the intro course. What do you think?

11. Missy says:

i can not wait for Beyond the Basics. i loved Art 101. I can not seem to find the Register button?? i hope i have not missed the deadline.
    Thanks

Hi Missy,
      Registration is not open yet. You can add your email address to the mailing list (side bar) for registration notification. I’m hoping to open registration on 4/15.

12. Anne says:

I want to take this course, but will be traveling with family when it is going on. Can I still take it, but log on later in July to do the course? Your website has been so helpful to me!

Hi Anne,
      You won’t get the benefit of participating with me or others ion the forum but if that’s not a big deal, then it’s no problem! You’ll have until September 7th to download all the materials.

13. Kate says:

Where can I register, for Beyond the Basics?

14. Suz says:

I am interested in this course but would like to know what the homework involves. I teach in Australia.

Hi Suz,
      The homework is given once per week and is optional. You will be asked to upload photos of your artwork/homework on our private flickr site. It’s all digital, so no worries about time zones.

15. Laura says:

I am just finishing my first year as an art/science K-2 teacher. I have taught several years in the early grades. My question is; Should I take the Beyond the Basics course?(Or Teaching Art 101?) I have basic questions such as time management, peer evaluations, and linking to common core standards.

I think you would really enjoy Teaching Art 101. I love the lessons as I really explain how to use simple art supplies to get great results. There are a number of lesson plans for K-2, so it should fit your grade level. Beyond the Basics is great too, but I do require that you know the applications of basic art supplies. You can take Teaching Art 101 at anytime, as it is a self-guided course. Beyond teh Basics is in session right now, so registration is closed. I will offer it again in the Fall. Does this help?