Collaborative art projects area a win-win in the art room. Collaborative projects encourage teamwork, develops oral communication, encourages respect and appreciation, and fosters peer-based learning.
To celebrate Earth day in your art room, consider combining a collaborative mural with individually created marine life. Students share the experience of selecting and mixing paint colors, painting the background and then adding their own individual marine life animal to the mural.
This project is best for students in grades 2nd-5th but depending on your choice of marine life, the project can be adaptable.
The Big Book of the Blue by Yuval Zommer is filled with beautiful illustrations and valuable lessons about our oceans and the animals that live in them.
Taking the time to properly set up for a collaborative art project can often seem overwhelming, but this one is really quite simple:
1. Teacher cuts mural paper and sketches ocean layers
2. Children paint the ocean layers and add texture
3. Children draw, color and cut their ocean animal
4. Teacher adhere’s sealift to mural
The tutorial in this packet walks you through every facet of the mural construction from outlining the background to drawing steps for the various marine life.
This Art Lesson plan includes:
– How to create a backdrop tutorial with drawing guides
– Supply list
– Steps for making paper marine life
– Tips for managing early finishers
– National Core Arts Standards for Grades 2-5
– Artist Statement for K-2 and 3-5
Drawing Guides for:
– Sea Turtles
– Coastal Crabs
– Tropical Fish Guide
– Marine Life Drawing Guide
– Coral Reef
– Mural Background Guide
– Tropical Fish Template
– Seahorse Template
This lesson is included in The Sparkler’s Club in the COLLABORATIVE ART BUNDLE.
– monthly art curriculum based on a famous artist, art movement or theme
– growing bank of art lesson plan bundles
– video tutorials
– Vibrant community of teachers to support and celebrate YOUR success.
MEMBERSHIP ONLY OPENS TWICE A YEAR: Sign up for the WAITING LIST to learn when YOU can join The Sparklers Club!