One-Point Perspective Art Lesson

I’m so pleased to post this lesson. It is my first successful perspective art lesson and I owe it all to Natalie at Smart Class. Her drawing steps for one-point perspective is so perfect that I didn’t change a thing. For anyone who hasn’t introduced a lesson on perspective to your students, I encourage you to give this one a try. I’ve tried to come up with my own perspective lesson and I never could figure out an easy way to do it. So glad we have a plethora of talent out there!

My students LOVED this lesson. Perspective is part magic and part math and for creative types like me, there are specific rules that really work. My students discovered these as we worked through the lesson. About half of my fifth grade class finished this lesson in three, 50-minute sessions. The other half need an additional 30 minutes to finish.

Fifth grade perspective paintings…

Share-it-banner-for-posts

1. Tery says:

Your students did a beautiful job on these! They really look spectacular!

2. Moira Dempsey says:

I love the look of this lesson. The only problem I would have is that I have classes once every other week. It would take at least 6 weeks for the students to get them finished (maybe even longer!).

3. Patty they turned out beautifully! I really liked this lesson when I saw it on Natalie’s blog. Your student’s use of color adds so much to the overall composition and they all look great!

:)Pat

4. Mali says:

I love your website! I also saw this on Natalie’s blog a few weeks ago and love this lesson. I am wondering what kind of paper did you use to hold the watercolor and what size?

5. Terri says:

These turned out beautifully! This is very, very similar to the method I was taught a long, long time ago in art class. I always loved doing 1-point perspective and remember drawing TONS of 1-point perspective pieces after I learned how to do it!

Yes, I was SO pleased that my students grabbed onto this lesson. Like I said in the post, I really struggle with perspective so this lesson from Natalie was such a Godsend!!!

6. Kim says:

This is so great. I’m going to use this for our next homeschool art lesson with my 5 and 12 yr old. Love your art lessons. Thanks

7. Lisa Jordan says:

Thank you so much for providing great, usable lesson plans to all of us art teachers. I’m teaching this lesson right now and link back to this page so the students can see your students’ artwork. It gives them a wider variety of options to choose from than just looking at my example. Right now I’m trying it with 5th and 6th and I have to say that the 5th graders are rocking it! The 6th graders are very caught up in socializing so I can’t exactly declare they’re rocking it just yet. Hopefully the finished products will be wonderful. Thank you again!

8. [...] got the lesson from here. I also used this site for terms and how to draw items in one point [...]

9. Christine says:

These are lovely!!!! You mentioned Pan watercolours. Is this a brand or type-Pan?

Sorry…I hate it when I shorten up the vocabulary! I mean pan style watercolors…the “cake” kind than comes in a plastic container.

10. halee says:

i luv all these!!!! they are beautiful!!!

11. [...] another one point perspective drawing, this project always works really well.~For older students, this project would be [...]

12. [...] the directions found at Deep Space Sparkle, I introduced the concept of drawing perspective with the “X” method.  Watercolors and [...]

13. Misty Hoover says:

The link to “drawing steps for 1 point perspective” in the first paragraph takes you to a site called Kaleidograph. Thought you might like to know!

14. ProfeBaltazar says:

What type of paper were you using!? I always have to tape my kids down…would love not to have to!

15. ProfeBaltazar says:

What type of paper are you using here? I always have to tape my kids down – and would LOVE not to have to….

I use 76 lb sulphite paper. It’s basically a school grade drawing paper. I don’t tape down papers as I don’t mind the wrinkles and you can smooth the wrinkles once the papers are dry.

16. Used a variation of this lesson with my 5th and 6th graders (we used construction paper crayons on black paper rather than watercolor paint). I then “shared the learning” and made a bulletin board using cereal boxes as buildings. Turned out really great! Here’s how my bulletin board and project turned out. Thanks for the inspiration! -Greta

Note from Patty: Sorry, but I had to remove this link. It didn’t go to the correct page.

17. E.Reeves says:

Every year I do a one point perspective drawing, but every year I feel like there has to be an easier method. I think the steps you posted here are going to work marvelously! Thanks! I can’t wait to try this.

18. [...] lesson idea came from Deep Space Sparkle who found it on smART Class. Sharing is caring! Share this:Like this:LikeBe the first to like [...]

19. Love this! The directions are so easy and everyone is successful. I also downloaded a short video showing someone drawing a 2 point perspective picture. Thanks for sharing.

20. BOB says:

They look awesome but wouldn’t they look better with a ruler?

21. Jennifer says:

Thanks so much for sharing! As an elementary teacher I always struggle with how to teach art. I sure wish our school had an art teacher! Thanks again.

22. Anna says:

I think this is really good art class

23. […] We followed the super helpful instructions on this post on Smart Class, which I reached via this post on Deep Space Sparkle. And in the interest of full disclosure, in the middle of our so-called “art lesson,” […]

24. Elisha says:

Just wanted to send a big THANK YOU for posting this lesson. I am a volunteer 5th grade art teacher and began teaching perspective last year. This year I could not get my notes on my iPad up last week and had to teach perspective from memory. I totally goofed up and felt like a failure! I sought a simpler way to teach it so I could remember and found this. I was so excited to share it with the kids and they did this project way faster-which made up for time lost doing it the wrong way.

Thanks again,
    Elisha

25. James says:

I love these! Your directions and the samples really make it easy to follow along. Thank you!

26. Vicky says:

Feel free to surf to my blog – site (Vicky)