Skyscraper Line Drawing

Skyscraper-Line-Drawings

Inspired by illustrator, Marz Jr. 5th grade students looked at pictures of skyscrapers and created a retro line drawing of their observations.

skyscraper-drawing

The students used a black Sharpie marker to draw the contour lines of a skyscraper (we looked at famous New York landmarks) and then got busy adding the dozens and dozens of extra windows and doors. I suggested drawing 2-3 skyscrapers on the colored paper and leaving enough room for a 4th skyscraper somewhere on the paper.

skyscraper-collage-art-lesson

After drawing the skyscrapers on colored paper, I handed out sheets of 12″ x 9″ sulphite paper so the student could draw a final building. They cut the building from the white paper and glued to the colored paper. Stunning results!

Skyscraper-Art-project

1. Rina says:

Hi Patty

I love this! Simple materials, but hey look so sophisticated they could be pro illustrations!

2. Faigie says:

I wonder how young you can have kids do this project. Maybe even first have them create backgrounds that are painted to put the skyscrapers on?I guess with the time limit that would only work for parents doing this with their kids at home

3. Joe says:

Hi Patty, the “retro-ness” rocks! Black and white with a single colour is so effective too : )

4. Renee says:

Hi Patty,
    Love this project! I needed a quick lesson for some pretty sophisticated 4th graders and this is perfect! Trying it in the morning! Thanks so much!

5. jaka says:

Wow nice Line drawing… i like acent color..

6. Saw this site and loved the artwork. wondering if there were classes you offered?

7. I love your site! I always find good projects to do with my kids! THANK YOU!!!! :)

8. Victoria says:

Wow, very cool! My 7 year old loves to draw and make art at home so we will definitely be trying this. It looks like it would be fun for me too. :)

9. stacy says:

love the cut out here-what a difference that makes!

10. Heather says:

These are so great, Patty! Could make a collaborative 3D version of them, Barbara Gilhooly style! Have a unit on built environments coming up… might just try that! Thanks, yet again!

11. Renee Adams says:

Patty,
    I did this lesson, as I mentioned above, with my talented 4th graders and one of them one a Silver medal at out regional art show! This is an amazing lesson with fabulous results!

12. don masse says:

Hi Patty,
    I just rolled out a Marz Jr. and deep space sparkle project with my 4th graders this week. Check it out:)

13. [...] project was inspired by Marz Jr. projects in this post on the shine brite zamorano blog and this post at Deep Space [...]

14. Afeni Neville says:

I did this but with the London skyline. Impressive results.

15. Sharon says:

Did you do any work with perspective before this lesson?

Only as far as drawing a second side to a building. We mostly talked about skyscraper shapes and how to draw with lines.

16. […] studying shapes found in New York skyscrapers and famous buildings. This lesson was inspired by DeepSpaceSparkle’s skyscraper line drawing lesson. The project entailed choosing a background paper color and drawing at least two […]