Hundertwasser Art Lesson

Hundertwasser is inspiring. For many of my fifth grade students, learning about and creating their own “Hundertwasser” inspired art was the best ever lesson. Combining a lesson in warm and cool colors, patterns and lines, composition and flow, this lesson has it all.

I picked up the book by Harvesting Dreams: Hundertwasser for Kids by Barbara Stieff and was absolutely thrilled. Inspiring text, interesting graphics plus Hundertwasser’s art combines to create a visually, dynamic book. The story is a creative journey into Hundertwasser’s passion for art. I read parts of the book to my class and they were riveted. Amazing book.

Painting with Warm and Cool Paints

Cool Tones

Warm Tones

To begin, I spoke about Hundertwasser’s love for lines and color, especially dark brights. Then, on two pieces of white 12″ x 18″ white drawing paper, kids painted strips of warms colors (red, pink, orange and yellow) on one sheet and cool colors (purple, blues, greens) on the other. Moving in a horizontal line, some lines were painted thick and others thin. As the paint dried, I showed the kids how to repaint over the dry areas and then, while the paint is still wet, scrape off some patterns with the wooden end of their brushes. The dried paint underneath peeks through!

Cutting the Paper into Strips and Circles

After the paintings are dry (the second class session), the students need to make a decision: should the background be warm or cool? Whatever they decide, take either the cool patterns or warm and divide into strips. If the student chose the cool colors, hand him a blue sheet of paper to glue the strips to. If the student selected the warm tones, hand him a pink sheet of paper. Glue strips onto a cool sheet of solid color paper.

Adding Lines and Patterns

For an extra “Hundertwasser” touch, use colored markers to add line and pattern details. Some kids really got into this. I mean, really. I sadly had to curtail their efforts as they would never have completed the project. I told them they could add more line details when the pieces were all glued down. Now everyone was happy!

Creating the flowers

Now comes the messy and colorful part: making the flowers. The students used whatever sheet of painted paper they didn’t use for the background to make the flowers. I set out a variety of plastic containers and lids. Kids could use the varying sizes to cut out circles but many chose to draw their own circles. Either way is fine: the latter being more organic and the former being a bit more structured. Its fun to see what the students chose to do.

Make stems by cutting strips of paper and glue everything down with white school glue. It’s sometimes helpful to place some heavy books on the dried stack so that everything lays flat.

This post contains affiliate links

Fifth Grade Hundertwasser Inspired Art!

This is what the Hundertwassers look like on my art wall (mixed with a few Kindergarten owls!)

Share-it-banner-for-posts

1. Pat Stevens says:

So incredibly beautiful! You are an amazing art teacher!

2. Laura says:

Rockin the House! Totally Beautiful! Keep on painting Buddy!!!
    I am borrowing project! Thanks Great post!

3. K-Sue says:

I love how these turned out – we may have to do this, too! Thanks for sharing.

4. lisajp says:

beautiful…love the colors, so inspiring! thanks for sharing :]

5. Viv says:

Love Hundertwasser and this project is awesome, gonna try it with my two homeschooled boys. Thanks for the inspiration.

6. Jude says:

Absolutely gorgeous and very inspiring!

7. Tara says:

This is a great lesson! I would love to read about your kinder owls too! Will you be posting it?

8. Eina says:

I also would be interested in the kinder owl lesson!

9. Cheryl Hancock says:

Awesome activity!!

10. Connie says:

Love your site! I’ve used some of your lessons and absolutely love them! Keep up the great work!

11. Erin says:

I love this!! Great idea. :-)

12. Love these! I have a tutorial for newspaper flowers which have the same feel as the flowers here. I love how your paintings turned out and those owls are super cute!

13. [...] one day I’m checking a favorite blog called Deep Space Sparkle. I love seeing her colorful ideas for lesson plans to teach art to children. You might think that [...]

14. Lucy Ames says:

You are so smart! I love that book, and did a different lesson after sharing it with my students. However, I would like to try this one. You’re right: so much good teaching in a lesson that creates wonderful results accessible to all. Bravo!

15. Christine says:

How big was the paper you used for the final product? These look amazing!

16. [...] project that takes minutes to complete. After studying Friedensreich Hundertwasser, and creating a colorful collage, some of my fifth grade students finished early. Instead of doing random free-choice art, I handed [...]

17. I moved to the country to work on a book project and to grown my own food, unfortunately the school here does not have art. I am using your lessons as the basis for making sure my son still gets the benefits of art instruction. We watched a video on Hundertwasser and just completed the first step of this project- Thanks so much for sharing your amazing talent:)

18. Kate says:

At the moment there is a big Hundertwasser exhibition on here, in Bremen Germany. So I thought I must use this opportunity. Thanks for any feedback!

19. Kate says:

I would love to do this project with my 3rd and 4th graders. Do you think they would manage? Or are they too young? I don´t want to overwhelm them. You say it´s for 5th graders.

lucky you, Kate! I wouldn’t think this lesson was too difficult at all. Break it down into manageable peices and you’ll be fine. The only section that requires a little finesse is the pen lines. You might neede to go over line and pattern with a bit more detail with the younger groups.

20. Edna Lemm says:

Those are so bright and colorful. How long did the whole thing take? I would love to do this project with my students. i recently did another hundertwasser project and they loved it! thanks for all the great ideas! Here are some pics of my hunderwasser. Hundertwasser

21. Krista G says:

I am a parent volunteer who teaches “fill-in” art lessons to supplement every-other-month art lessons taught by the district art teacher. I used this lesson with a mixed class of 4th and 5th graders. The finished artwork was wonderful, each one was unique and beautiful and the kids really seemed proud of their work. The lessons I learned were: (1) Definitely allow two sessions for this, since the cool color and warm color sheets need to dry before you can cut them up, (2) Use manageable size paper – I used really giant sheets that were in the art room; I should have cut them down. Thanks for the great idea, Deep Space Sparkle!

22. Annie says:

Oh I just love flowers! Thank you very much

23. angee says:

I was looking for a great art project for my Cub Scouts–something besides just painting, where they would LEARN a concept. This is it!!! Thank you! Your website is incredible, and I am so inspired!! Thanx for all your time and work to provide great lesson plans to those of us, who may not be so art-minded.

24. [...] project that takes minutes to complete. After studying Friedensreich Hundertwasser, and creating a colorful collage, some of my fifth grade students finished early. Instead of doing random free-choice art, I handed [...]

25. Patricia MacGillivray says:

LOVED this art lesson! I did it with my grade 3′s and they did a great job! Their work was so fun and colourful. It was a wonderful lesson on warm & cool colours and line! I especially loved how long this lesson took! I’m moving into my 5th 50 minute art class and we’re still just making squiggles with the back of our paint brush. It should take at least 4 more classes to finish! Great lesson during report card writing time!

26. Jude Hateley says:

Thankyou so much Patti. I have just completed this activity with a group of 24 eight year old children and it was a wonderful success. We live in the North Island of New Zealand and so began the study by introducing Hundertwasser’s toilet constructed at Kawakawa. Everyone stops there to admire his work and there are great images on the net. The children were so proud of their lollipop trees.
    xxJude

27. ana says:

Hermosos trabajos muy coloridos!!! felicitaciones!!! Ana