Cardboard Fish and Owl Art Project

If you have some extra corrugated cardboard and a few bored kids, try creating these abstract fish and owls. I won’t lie. It took a while to cut out 65 fish and owl shapes plus the notches and mouth openings, but my Kinder students loved creating this cute project. Very hands-on, creative and fun.

Kinder Fish and Owls!

1. Cheryl Hancock says:

Delightful, I also have done fish and the students painted patterns first- one group did cool colours and another did warm colours will photograph today.
    Great use for recycling those small boxes and painted paper scraps.

2. Allison says:

Wow Patty! What an absolutely inspiring site. I think you’re AMAZING! I wish I had such a fabulous creative art teacher when I was in primary school – the kids must adore you!

Thanks, Allison! I think your blog is pretty cool too! Hope you are enjoying the BYW class. I just finished my “mood board”. Unusual technique for me but I think I’m hooked.

3. Michelle says:

Great project! I like the colors and textures and feel like the kids can do a lot of good problem solving a project like this!

One question (that anyone can answer)–what do you use for gluing googly eyes? They always fall off when we use elmers…are there any other good options?

I’ve always used Elmer’s school glue and I don’t worry too much about longevity. I bet though, that tacky glue (sold at craft stores) would work really well.

• Sue says:

I always tell the kids to make a nice glue dot first and then place the googly eye in it so that the glue comes out a little all the way around. Also, on cardboard it will work better because it doesn’t bend.

4. Michelle says:

Thank you for your input and your great blog!

5. [...] love this cardboard fish art (inspired by Deep Space Sparkle). I always enjoy how Simon makes projects his OWN (spiral eye, terrifying [...]

6. [...] with my Kinder students. If the project looks familiar, that’s because it is! We created our cardboard owls and fish before but this time, my Kinders created a cool habitat for their little abstract [...]

7. Julie K says:

Did the kiddos cut their own fish out? or just trace and an adult cut?

Kids can do it but for my 65 Kinders, I cut out the cardboard with a large paper cutter. If you want your kids to cut out their own fish, use a less thick piece of cardboard. Perhaps cereal boxes.

8. Nancy L. says:

These are wonderful! How much time did you allot forthis craft? How much time, do you estimate, between painting and completing?

9. […] with my Kinder students. If the project looks familiar, that’s because it is! We created our cardboard owls and fish before but this time, my Kinders created a cool habitat for their little abstract […]