Primary and Secondary Colors Art Lesson

Primary-and-secondary-color-art-lessonI vowed to begin the year with a unit on teaching color theory. It means breaking out the paints when it’d be alot easier sticking to paper and markers but what the heck, I have a sink. By second grade, most kids know the primary colors and many know the secondary colors. This lesson reinforces the idea that color combinations are infinite and just darn fun to make!

Supplies:
12″ x 18″ White Paper
Black waterproof marker
Palette of red, yellow and blue (for each child…I know, lots of prep!)
Paint brush and water containers
Drawing the Fish
fish-art-lesson
I make oval templates for the children. You don’t have to of course, but it speeds up the lesson when all anyone wants to get to is the painting! I ask the students to trace 3 big templates and 3 little templates. Add tails, fins, eyes, etc. But no designs…yet!
Painting the Primary Colors
colorwheel-art-lesson
Pass out a paper plate or tray with yellow, red and blue tempera paint. One for each student. Ask the children to paint one big fish yellow, one big fish red and another big fish blue. Demonstrate the importance of cleaning their brush.
painting-with-primary-colors
Painting the Secondary Colors
Painting-secondary-colors2
Now for the mixing! Take a tiny scoop of yellow and a tiny scoop of red and mix on the palette. Once they’ve created their orange, have them paint it on a baby fish. Do the same for blue+yellow=green and red+blue=purple.
It’s really common for some things to happen:
1. A child will trace more big fish than small fish.
2. A child will paint more than one fish yellow because the paint feels real good and he just can’t help himself.
3. The child can’t resist mixing all the colors together.
4. The child gets busy mixing all the colors and makes beautiful designs on his fish (yay!)
For all of these problems, forget it.
Don’t correct or point out a problem. The lesson is in the discovery!
Adding Value: Painting the Sea

After all the fish have been painted, it’s time to bring out a tray of white paint and blue. You can put these in a well-type palette so that the kids can share. Mix blue and white directly onto the paper. Kids LOVE this part…some areas are light, some dark. It’s totally within their control!
Outlining and Defining
Outling-a-painting
For the final step, set out small tubs of black tempera paint and small teeny-tiny brushes. Paint over all marker lines. Add details to fish if desired.
If the painting is dry, a less messy option to finishing the project is to use a black oil pastel. It’s just as effective.
Second Grade wonders!

1. Nellie Mae says:

LOVE IT! Your lessons are always the best!

2. mericherry says:

This is so perfect for my class on Tuesday. Your timing is impeccable. Thank you so much for sharing this great fun way to learn color theory!

3. Janie B says:

Cute idea! I'll bet the kids loved it.

4. Ms. Jamieson says:

Such a cute lesson. I love it.

5. Cheryl Hancock says:

Just gorgeous- You might like to check out the Linda Kranz book – Only One You- and see her cute fish made in clay and paper- I have made both. Using the values as inspiration kids.

6. Patty Palmer says:

Thanks again, Cheryl, for another great recommendation!

7. Paintedpaper says:

Love it! I am sure the kids loved it and we as teachers secretly love it that they are learning the important color theory! When kids are having fun they truly remember the concept. :)

8. Cyndy says:

This year my goal is to do whatever art project you tell me to do!!! LOL! My class is full of 1st graders but I don't see any reason why we can't do this activity as well! I'll be giving it a try! Until you tell me what to do next… thanks! : )

9. Mr Lonely says:

nice blog.. have a view of my blog when free.. http://www.lonelyreload.blogspot.com .. do leave me some comment / guide if can.. if interested can follow my blog…

10. Anna says:

Awesome! Thanks so much for sharing your ideas and taking the time to post all of these so I can “steal” your ideas:)

11. Meredith says:

We had such a fun time with this one, thank you so much for your clear cut lessons and enthusiasm for the simplistic :) Here are some smiles to warm your heart: http://happyheartsmom.typepad.com/sweetness_and_light/2010/10/one-fish-two-fish-red-fish-artsy-fish.html

Many blessings,

12. Jeremy says:

Fun activity. I simplified it a bit and did it with my preschoolers. They loved it. Click on my name to see the blog post that includes it.

13. Helen Hall says:

Great idea. I adapted it and used it with my 5th Grade class. Each student created a colour wheel with primary, secondary and tertiary colours. We then drew 6 fish. The head section was separated from body by a “gill”. The bodies were then painted with the primary colours. (2 of each). The heads were then painted secondary colours that were made from the primary colour on the fish body. So one yellow body got an orange head and the other got a green head. This means that there were 2 orange headed fish, 2 green headed fish and 2 violet headed fish. The fins of each fish were then painted the tertiary colour that would be made by mixing the primary body with the secondary head. The kids loved it and the fish look fantastic. The kids love saying all the cool colour names too….who wouldn’t like vermillion, amber, indigo, chartreuse, red-violet and aqua marine?

14. Kathy says:

Thanks for your recent visit to my blog and for commenting on the color mixing post. Now that I see your cute fish idea, I think I will make it and extention of my 4th graders work and have them try this assignment when they complete the spinning color wheels. I really like the creative blending in the space behind the fish.

15. [...] saw this idea at Deep Space Sparkle and thought it would be fun to try with my little guys.  As I always say to my students, [...]

16. Martha Leslie says:

This is such a great opening activity. The children love the scaffolding of the ovals to trace. They focus intently on spacing their fish because they want them all to fit in. I didn’t have the time to have the students paint the background, so I put blue and white on a tray and the kids sponge paint the background instead. It looks nice as well! Love this site, thank you so much for sharing.

17. Carie says:

Thanks! Love this! Did this with my sons 3rd grade class. The kids had fun, especially mixing the colors.

18. Maria says:

Hi, you may have said this. If so, sorry :) What kind/brand of paint do you suggest. The color is so vibrant. Thanks!

19. [...] Primary and Secondary Colors Art Lesson [...]

20. vrao@community-montessori.org says:

Love it! Can’t wait to have my children in the class experiment with the colors!