When it comes to painting techniques, most of us think about watercolor paints. There is so much you can do with these watery colors: resist, wet-on-wet, salting, etc. But if you use liquid tempera paint for most of your art projects, you may feel like you’re stuck with a simple stroke application. For me, tempera paints offer kids the chance to explore paint mixing and achieve bold blasts of color.
This podcast explains why I love using tempera paint, what type of brands are best, and how to get the most out of using tempera paints.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
- Why tempera paints are great to use in a classroom or home setting
- How not all tempera paints are high-quality and what to look for when choosing brands
- Why double loading your paint brush allows for a beautiful application of color (and saves you time)
- How the scratching technique can be tricky, but fun if you keep the shapes abstract
- How smoothing works to encourage children to use more even paint strokes
- Why it’s beneficial to use as little water as possible with your tempera paints
LISTEN TO THE SHOW