Wouldn’t it be nice if we could step into our art rooms and spend the entire session creating art? Not likely, right? Managing behavior, creating management plans, enforcing rules and asking children to stop talking consumes most of our energy.
And when our classroom management plan is no longer effective, any effort is literally exhausting. It’s easy to say, do this or do that and your problem will be solved. Managing the behavior of your students, your art room, your community requires a highly individualized effort.
Kaitlyn Edington knows this feeling well.
As a first year art teacher at a rural Title 1 school in South Carolina, Kaitlyn had to forget all she knew about management and create a system specifically for her unique group of students.
Today’s episode shares what she did and how she did it…
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
– The effects Kaitlyn’s elementary school art teacher had on her future art career
– How Kaitlyn connects and builds trust with her students
– Why positive reinforcement is more impactful than disciplining students
– How to incorporate sketch books in the classrooms
– Kaitlyn’s top 3 classroom management tips including her amazing points system using popsicle sticks
– How Instagram has successfully impacted Kaitlyn’s career
LISTEN TO THE SHOW:
LINKS & RESOURCES
You can visit Patty through Deep Space Sparkle on Facebook and Instagram