From Nurse to Watercolor Artist with Gina Lee Kim: AME 047
Did you go to school for one thing only to end up doing something entirely different? Most often these types of career pivots happen to us once we discover that we need to create. If you yearn to create art full-time but are in a job you know isn’t meant for you, Gina’s story will resonate with you. Gina shares what moved her to create art, how she got published in magazines and how it all lead to a book deal.
Gina shares practical tips on how to keep inspired and how to work through obstacles.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
- How Gina used art therapy with her patients
- Why it’s important to allow yourself to be a sponge for inspiration
- When Gina does her best work
- Why Gina loves watercolor paint and the secret benefits of painting with watercolor paints
- What gave Gina the bravery to pursue her artwork submissions
- Why it is important to carve out creative time
- How clutter can effect your creativity
- How Gina curates her studio space so that she is ready to create
- How organizing your supplies can re-acquaint you their purpose
- Why there is power in series work
LISTEN TO THE SHOW
Subscribe to Art Made Easy and receive new episodes directly on your phone via your podcast App.
Note: If you have an iPhone, subscribe in iTunes. If you have an Android phone, subscribe in Stitcher.
Lisa Congdon & Kamala Chambers Thriving Launch podcast
Hidden Brain from NPR
Abby Glassenberg’s While She Naps podcast
How I Built This from NPR
Brains On! from NPR
Planet Money from NPR
How To Be Amazing with Michael Ann Black
Before Gina became a nurse, she took her first watercolor class at a local community college while working at a corporate job. She continued her watercolor obsession and taught children, youth and adult watercolor workshops as a volunteer for the Audubon Society. She continued to teach as a nursing student.
Gina is currently working on a watercolor and mixed-media book which will be out February 2018 (NorthLight Publishing).
Create with Gina!
Join us at the Deep Space Sparkle Workshop.
Connect with Gina